Galil Mountain Barbera

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Galil Mountain Barbera

Postby Yoni M » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:49 am

Hi Rogov,

Might you have any details regarding the new Galil Mountain Barbera release? Is it indeed a "single vineyard" wine, from Yiron? (Previously)
Yoni M
Wine geek

Re: Galil Mountain Barbera

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:28 am

Yoni, Hi....

I do not have any details at this time. I'll try to phone the winery on Sunday and see then if any information is forthcoming.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yoni M » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:42 am

I have a bit of conflicting information; one shopkeeper told me that it was indeed a Galil Mountain release, but I just spoke with someone who attended the Jerusalem wine festival last night who said that it was released with the Gamla label... I guess we'll find out on Sunday.
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Yoni,

As I reported in April (Hebrew link), a varietal barbera is to be released in the so called "middle series", i.e. in the price range of the Pinot Noir and Shiraz-Cab (in the middle between the simple cab/merlot/shiraz and the Yirons & Avivim).

I'm very curious to taste it. By the way, what's the latest vintage of Recanati's barbera, and did anyone taste it...?

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

WTN: Recanati Barbera Galil Mountain Barbera

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Lior, Hi....

Following are my tasting notes for the 2005 and 2006 releases of Recanati's Barbera

Best
Rogov

Recanati, Barbera, 2006: Light garnet towards purple in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and generous acidity. Reflects its 8.5 months in barriques with light spicy notes and appealing crushed blackberry and cherry and chocolate notes, all leading to a light peppery finish. Drink now–2010. Score 88. K

Recanati, Barbera, 2005: Deep royal-purple in color, blended with 10% Zinfandel, showing medium-bodied, with soft tannins, light spicy oak and pleasing acidity. On the nose and palate cherry, blueberry, blackberry and cassis notes. Aromatic and lightly spicy and on the finish a hint of chocolate. Drink now. Score 88. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll get one, I enjoyed previous vintages.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby B Kessler » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:35 am

I've attached what I received from the winery. The e-mail talks about the wine being from the Yiron Vineyard; priced at NIS 60, with total output of 19,000 bottles. The wine spent 12 months new French oak barrels. Aromas of Rasberry, sour cherry, wildberries and vanilla and a few other spices.

יין חדש מיקב הרי גליל
הרי גליל ברברה 2006
בציר ראשון מכרם יראון בהרי הגליל העליון
יקב הרי גליל משיק יין חדש - הרי גליל ברברה 2006, המצטרף ל- 12 יינות היקב.

שורשיו של זן הברברה הינם באזור פיימונטה שבאיטליה הזן גדל גם בקליפורניה, אוסטרליה וארגנטינה.
מבציר 2006 יוצרו כ 19000 בקבוקים. היין יימכר בחנויות יין מקצועיות ובמסעדות נבחרות ברחבי הארץ. המחיר המומלץ לצרכן: 60 ₪ .

היין תסס בחביות עץ אלון צרפתי חדשות והתיישן על משקעי שמרים במשך 10 חודשים.
הוא בעל צבע אדום עז ומשלב ארומות של פטל אדום, דובדבן חמוץ וגרגרי יער לצד ניחוחות מתובלים של וניל, ציפורן ועץ אלון עם נגיעה קלה של ערער.
היין מוכן לשתייה ויתיישן היטב במשך חמש עד שבע שנים ממועד הבציר, בתנאי אחסון נאותים.
B Kessler
Cellar rat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:48 am

One quick comment and one quick request

The comment: I shall have a bottle on hand within the next few days for tasting. I wil post as soon as that has entered my blind tastings.

The request: If we do have to post things in Hebrew or other not commonly understood languages, may I suggest that we do it as links and not as an integral part of the text.

Thanks and Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum