WTN: Three Special Reserve Wines from Herzog (K)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Three Special Reserve Wines from Herzog (K)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 am

I received an email request for tasting notes from one of our members who has not yet succeeded in registering for our new location. My notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon-Zinfandel-Syrah, Special Reserve, 2002: My earlier tasting note (16 Sep 2004) holds firmly. A medium- to full-bodied blend of 66% Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa, 31% Zinfandel from San Joaquin and 3% Syrah from San Louis Obispo, each vinified separately and aged in American oak for 13 months before the final blend was made. What may sound like an unlikely blend at first blush actually comes together quite nicely indeed, with a pleasing array of generous currant, berry and plum fruits melding nicely with overtones of vanilla, hints of juniper berries, allspice and black pepper. Long, round and mouthfilling. Drink now-2012. , the wine is approachable now but will show best from 2006 – 2012. Score 93. K (Re-tasted 27 Oct 2006)

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel-Syrah, Special Reserve, California, 2005: As has become the tradition, a wine based on grapes from three different vineyards (Napa, Watts and Edna Valley this year). A blend of 66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Zinfandel and 3% Syrah, each grape vinified separately in American oak for about 14 months and then blended before bottling. Full-bodied, with still firm tannins needing time to settle down, and generous vanilla and toast from the wood but opening to show generous wild berry, black currant and purple plums, those on an appealingly spicy background. Drink now-2011 but if you do drink now worth decanting for about an hour. Score 90. K (Tasted 19 May 2008)

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Chalk Hill, Warnecke Valley, Sonoma, 2005: Cabernet Sauvignon to its core. Medium- to full-bodied, with good balance between soft tannins, wood, acidity and fruit. On first attack traditional blackcurrant and blackberry fruits along with a note of vanilla, those followed by lightly toasted oak and notes of citrus peel and Oriental spices. Generous, delicous and mouth-filling . Drink now-2011. Score 90. K (Tasted 19 May 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN: Three Special Reserve Wines from Herzog (K)

Postby David Raccah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Hello Daniel,

I recently tasted the 2002 and was wondering if you have tasted it recently? It has turned a blackish brown and while the flavors were still there, they are going flat line and muddled. Really love the nose. I was wondering if anyone has had it recently and can corroborate my findings?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 pm

David, Hi...

I have not re-tasted the 2002 wine since my above tasting note but cannot help but wonder if you had a bottle that was quite distinctly "off", that kind of dramatic color change and flatness perhaps indicating a wine that underwent very hot storage somewhere along its lifetime.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Josh Patt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:15 pm

I had the 2002 Cab-Zin-Syraha few weeks ago and it was very good with spice and berries from the Zinfandel alongside the Cabernet fruits. It didn't seem to be fading, but mature and probably at its peak.
So my experience seems to confirm Rogov's note, though Rogov describes it better.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Matt Walter » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm

As the new member who had requested these tasting notes, I say thank you!
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Michael P » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:David, Hi...

I have not re-tasted the 2002 wine since my above tasting note but cannot help but wonder if you had a bottle that was quite distinctly "off", that kind of dramatic color change and flatness perhaps indicating a wine that underwent very hot storage somewhere along its lifetime.

Best
Rogov

Last question for the night. Have you since re tasted the above wine?

thanks.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Michael, Hi....

Indeed I have re-tasted the wine and my most recent tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon-Zinfandel-Syrah, Special Reserve, 2002: A wine that surprises by its seemingly sudden demise. Continuing to show medium- to full-bodied, a blend of 66% Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa, 31% Zinfandel from San Joaquin and 3% Syrah from San Louis Obispo, each vinified separately and aged in American oak for 13 months before the final blend was made. The once youthful color has gone to somewhere between adobe brick and burned Sienna and thewine has thrown a good deal of sediment. Aromas and flavors are still of currant and berry fruits but those have picked up a somewhat cooked almost compote-jammy note. Going fast so drink up. (Re-tasted twice with consistent notes 7 Sep 2009)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Barry K » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:27 am

Hi rogov
would you have a recent tasting note on the 2002 cab -syrah blend
thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:35 am

Barry, Hi...

My most recent tasting of this wine was in 2004. I see no real reason for concern, however, as my predicted drinking windows for the Herzog Special Reserve wines have proven fairly accurate.

Best
Rogov

Herzog, Cabernet-Syrah, Special Reserve, 2002: Dark garnet, this full-bodied blend of 52% Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa and 48% of Syrah from San Louis Obispo County is living up to its earlier promise. Soft, round and well balanced, with tannins already well integrating, a generous but not overdone influence of the wood, and tempting plum, blackberry and currant fruits, all of which linger nicely in a fruity and bitter-chocolate finish. Drink now-2012. Score 92. K (Re-tasted but not blind 18 Nov 2004)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Barry K » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 am

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon-Zinfandel-Syrah, Special Reserve, 2002: A wine that surprises by its seemingly sudden demise
My most recent tasting of this wine was in 2004. I see no real reason for concern, however, as my predicted drinking windows for the Herzog Special Reserve wines have proven fairly accurate

Can I take that to mean that you are comfortable that the cab syrah has not shared the same effects as its sister wine the cab -zin syrah
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 am

Barry, Hi....

Indeed you may so take it. What happened with the Cabernet-Zinfandel-Syrah is clearly a fluke. As is said, such things can happen in the best of families. But (aha, there is always a but), taking your question seriously, I shall slip my last bottle of the Caberent-Syrah into a tasting within the next few days.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Barry K » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:35 am

thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Mike BG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:21 pm

I was really concerned about this: I had 5 bottles of the 2002 Cab-Zin-Syrah left! I decided to risk opening a bottle for shabbos (with a reserve at hand, just in case). The colour was nothing like 'adobe brick' or 'burned Sienna'. There was also no sediment at all. None! It tasted just as good as last time we had it, probably over Sukkos, about a month ago. Am I lucky, or were you unlucky? I brought mine from the USA shortly after it was released and it has been in my wine fridge ever since. Maybe yours suffered from bad transportation?
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Mike BG wrote: Am I lucky, or were you unlucky?

Mike, Hi....

Delighted that your wines remain in fine condition. As to your question, your guess will be as good as mine. The true test will come when I next visit the Herzog winery and ask for 3 - 4 bottles to be opened simultaneously.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike BG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: The true test will come when I next visit the Herzog winery and ask for 3 - 4 bottles to be opened simultaneously.

... and how far ahead is that? Maybe I should just use up what I have before it joins your bottles ...
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Mike BG wrote:
Daniel Rogov wrote: The true test will come when I next visit the Herzog winery and ask for 3 - 4 bottles to be opened simultaneously.

... and how far ahead is that? Maybe I should just use up what I have before it joins your bottles ...

Mike, Hi....

January, February or March. My plans will be firmed up by 22 November.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Andrew B » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:
January, February or March. My plans will be firmed up by 22 November.

Best
Rogov

Keep us posted! Maybe we can have a kosher wine off-line!
Andrew B
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum