Administrative tip: TN vs. WTN

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Administrative tip: TN vs. WTN

Postby Jenise » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Some of you may have noticed that we use 'WTN' vs. 'TN' in the titles of tasting notes we post on WLDG. TN is actually all we used on the original WLDG software and we would have preferred to continue that tradition, but when growth mandated we move to new software, we found that the phpBB search mechanism doesn't recognize two-letter word searches. That is, 'TN Lafite' entered into the Search field will not get you all the tasting notes on wines named Lafite, but 'WTN Lafite' will. Hence we adopted WTN for tasting notes and RCP for recipes--for the same reason, it would probably be in the best interests of Rogov's Place to adopt/observe the same protocol.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Administrative tip: TN vs. WTN

Postby Yoni M » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Jenise,

Does it make a difference whether one is asking for Rogov's tasting note or posting one of their own? On Stratsplace a popular convention used in the title when requested a note from Rogov was TNR (=tasting note request).
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Jan Schultink » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:53 pm

I was wondering about this.
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Unless Jenise offers advice to the contrary, I would suggest that tasting note requests still be prefaced with TNR. When I respond, I'll use the WTN notation.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jenise » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Yoni M wrote:Hi Jenise,

Does it make a difference whether one is asking for Rogov's tasting note or posting one of their own? On Stratsplace a popular convention used in the title when requested a note from Rogov was TNR (=tasting note request).

Yoni, I would say it depends on whether or not at a later date you'd be more likely to search for the question vs. the answer. Using TNR for the purpose you suggest wouldn't get in the way of anything. What would be ultimately be best, regardless, since what we're talking about is creating retrievable information, is Rogov answering any TNR no matter how it's stated with WTN in his posts. Thanks for asking.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:13 pm

TNR is pretty much standard on wine boards for Tasting Note Request.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum