Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

b"sd
As with so many if not all components of who we are;the energy that can produce can often detract.
Curiosity for instance. A powerfull springboard which propells society to produce; from the physical world and upwards; to the highest levels to
which we aspire. And yet, the need to sometimes hold back is so important.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Shavua tov Harry and all,

Friday night:

Herzog, Baron Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles 2012: Many of my friends here on the forum and outside it have been praising this wine since it was released and I was curious to try it since it's now also available in Israel. Well, I was disappointed. Aged 18 months in stainless steeks, mevushal. Bright garnet in color with on the nose screaming green bell pepper as well as scents of plums, cherries and tobacco. Medium-bodied with on the palate loads of bell pepper, acidic plums, currants, blackberries and cherries as well as spices and tobacco with good acidity and soft tannins that rise on the moderately long finish. This wine is very green, overly green. I like green characteristics, especially in Cabernet Franc but when those green notes are part of the wine, inside it if you like. Here the wine is overly green in my taste, it's like if the wine was "imprisoned" in a raw, green bell pepper with its flavors struggling to go past the pepper and make themselves felt. Not for me. 13.5% Abv.

Flam, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010: This fantastic wine continues to impress and developing nicely with now notes of barnyard showing earlier than I had expected. You don't need to have lots of experience to notice that this is one of the best kosher and israeli wines out there. 14.5% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Kayoumi Vineyard, Riesling 2011: By far one of my favorite white wines(and variety) and it's drinking beautifully. For the first time I did sense a hint very light sweetness on the finish that actually adds to the enjoyment and complexity of the wine. 12.5% Abv.

Binyamina, Reserve, Late Harvest Cluster Select, Gewürztraminer 2012: While I was not very impressed the first time I tasted the 2012 vintage of this old favorite dessert wine of mine, this time it was delicious and lived up to its earlier releases. Bright gold in color with on the nose apricots, honeysuckle, tangerine and honey. Almost full-bodied with on the palate dried apricots, peaches, orange rind, hints of candied ginger, caramelized apples, bright balancing acidity with touches of vanilla on the long and luscious finish. Delicious and still young, will likely develop more layers of complexity over the next 8-10 years. 9% Abv.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Harry J » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi; found the Dalton Yuvalim smooth and full flavored but more closed than the 2012.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:59 pm

2013 Dalton Rose. Nice, as usual.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby YossiD » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:51 am

Started out the weekend by going to the launch of Chillag's 2013 whites, which were truly marvelous. A bone dry Chenin Blanc that can give Seahorse's James a run for its money, and a medium bodied Viognier that was just a delight to drink. I may be a bit biased about the Viognier since I participated in the grape harvest for this vintage. Also an off-dry Muscat that is anything but a desert wine, and a most unusual Gewurztraminer that was also just off-dry and a bit tingly. Highly recommended for those of you who don't mind wines without a Hechsher.

For Shabbat dinner I opened a 2009 Shiraz from Salomon. Though very "brett" (different from my tastings at the winery - different barrel?) it still went well with our goulash.
YossiD
Wine geek

Postby Donny B » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm a bit late on this post. It's been a busy week. This past "weeksend" I pulled a bottle from my first case of 2011 Chateau Moulin Riche. My previous tasting of this wine was at KFWE but was anxious to sit down to a full bottle. As I absolutely love the Leoville I was excited for their newest kosher release. While similar in style to Leoville, this wine is not near the powerful and robust experience. With that said, this release is literally a 1/4 of the price and is extremely young. I found this wine full-bodied and with heavy tannin that will bode well for cellaring. The fruit is currently hard to fully appreciate and the nose was very muted even after decanting for an hour. Lots of bittersweet notes that will likely soften with time. The potential is certainly there and the structure and color were beautiful but I will not touch the other 11 bottles for at least 2 years. I was not by any means "disappointed" but this one is too young.
Donny B
Just got here

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum