Good Ones / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Good Ones / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

b"sd
Health,wealth,children,parents.
Tears of pain and tears of joy.
Life is quite frankly not always simple and or fun.
But as long as were alive;as long as we have precious moments
we can try to make the most of them.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Good Ones / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Harry, shavua tov!

Friday night:

Teperberg, Terra, Merlot 2009: If you're looking for a 2009 israeli wine that doesn't show a single hint of overripe sweetness/dates or high alcohol then this one is quite a nice example. As with it's big and more complex Reserve brother, the grapes are sourced from a vineyard located in Har Bracha in the Shomron Hills, a terroir that proves with many other wineries to be one of the country's top locations for growing Merlot. Aged 14 months in french oak barrels, this wine is quite old world in style, showing restrain fruit and reasonable impact of oak.
Dark garnet with on the nose classic notes of raspberries and blackberries with hints of roasted herbs. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate more raspberries, blackberries, red currants and more herbs, very good acidity and with a touch of freshly cracked pepper showing with the rise of mouth-drying tannins that coat the mouth on the moderately long finish. 13.5% Abv. Excellent value for money.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Kayoumi Vineyard, Riesling 2012: I've recently become a sucker for all things Riesling (NOT Emerald!) and I was very excited to taste and drink for the first time the 2012 release of this wine. Carmel started making this Riesling with the 2005 vintage and upgraded it, both in name and price, from the Appellation/Regional series to the Single Vineyard series with the 2010 vintage. While it is labelled as off-dry, I've found all '09 to '12 vintages to be quite dry and I recall that Rogov z.l. wrote that this wine would be labelled as dry ('trocken') in Germany and Alsace. Well, it doesn't disappoint. Bright pale yellow in color with on the nose aromas of white and citrus tree flowers, classic petrol and lime. Medium-bodied with on the palate white peaches, tangerine, lime zest and green apple peels followed by touches of apricots and nice minerals, intense bracing acidity and with a hint of drying tannins gently coating on a moderate finish. 12.5% Abv.
A beautiful, complex wine that I expect to improve and become even more expressive over the next 6-12 months and then be around until 2017 or so.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Adam Peters » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the reminder to post.

Nothing special this shabbos. We had an event at our shul on Sunday and the wine supplied was the 2012 Altoona Hills Cabernet Shiraz and the 2012 Altoona Hills Chardonnay. These are the best of the inexpensive wines available in Ottawa. Basically table wines, but very drinkable. Anyway, there were lots of leftover bottles, so everybody took some home. I had mostly the Cabernet Shiraz. Like I said, drinkable, but nothing special. You should see some of the real junk they bring in in the lower priced category. Even my own stuff is better!

My own Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon are fermenting nicely in the basement. I made extra to make up for my tragic loss of last years' Cab. I promise to be more careful next time!

Adam
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:53 am

2007 Psagot Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Goose Bay Pinot Noir
2011 Elvi InVita
2010 Tavor Cabernet Sauvignon Terra Rosa

The Psagot was absolutely delicious. Goose Bay OK. Elvi InVita just fine.
Tavor CS is a heavy wine, rough, never got to open up over two hours. I kept feeling some good stuff is lurking underneath. Maybe more cellaring will help.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby E Segel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:09 am

2006 Yarden Rom
2012 Landsman Napa Valley Pinot Noir (x 2)
2010 Brobdignagian Syrah (magnum)
2012 Rose du Castel
Drappier Carte D'or Brut
And we polished off a whole bottle of Glenlivet 21 Archive

I remember it all being really good but the details are a little hazy....
Regards,
Eli
E Segel
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 am

Looks like fun! My friend who had the 2012 Landsman Pinot thought it was lighter and less impressive than the 2011, when I get to mine I will post of course.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Shawn Johnson » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 am

Dalton Reserve Cab Sauv 2010
Teperberg Terra Gewürztraminer 2011
Le Mourre De'isle cotes du Rhone 2011

Good week to all
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Steven B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 am

Hi Harrry,

2011 Domaine Netofa Tinto
2010 Harkham Shiraz

Shavua Tov
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:33 am

We drank Lueria Rosso 2011, a blend of Sangiovese and Barbera. I enjoyed this as much as the previous Rouge. It is a meeting of Tuscany and Alba, which I admit is unusual. But, it's still on my list of favorites; my son disagrees. I must have some Italian history.

We also had P. Lichtenstein Auteur 2010 from Arza. Nothing from Arza and Tel Arza had been impressive up to this point. But, this is a beautiful, elegant, refined Cabernet Sauvignon. It has the luscious flavors of Cabernet with a smoothness of a high end wine. I hope the winery is inspired by this success to improve its other wines.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree with Gabriel about the Kayoumi riesling though I have not had the 2012 yet. But this Shabbat we had an Alsatian riesling, Pierre Sparr 2008 reserve.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi; enjoyed the recanati merlot '12. Full bodied and full flavored. Also tried tabor har shiraz'12. Nice. But without spiciness. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

This past weekend i was a bit under the weather and my taste buds were out of whack.

Friday night 2009 Dalton Alma Shiraz, Mourvedre, Viognier I tried to smell it but since i was sick, i got nothing but crushed berries. I couldn't get anything out of the taste :( but the tannins were nice and it was a nice medium to full bodied feel.
Saturday 2010 Tabor Cabernet Sauvignon Adama Terra Rosa Soil. Always nice (i think) but unfortunately, same tasting notes as above but a little fuller and heavier tannins.

E Segal, sounds like quite the party!
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm

BS"D

Wanted a bottle that would give... :)

2009 Galil Mountain Yiron

Was very happy... Pretty FIRM the first night and liked it..
All the best,

Yehoshua
www.youtube.com/thegrapevinewines
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Decided to go for something different this week and opened a bottle of Cantina Gabrielle Sangiovese. I rather enjoyed it, but my wife did not. It was fresh, fruity with a lightly acidic back edge. However, since my wife did not like it, it's off the list.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 pm

@Moshe F

I had the Tabor over shabbat, and it was heavy on the tannins. Tonight it softened and was quite smooth and tasty.

If your cold has abated, and some of the wine is left over, maybe it would warrant a try. :)
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

Synagogue function. So had Ben Ami merlot with gamey chicken. At least the company and atmosphere were good.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Harry,

Celebrating my daughter's wedding, I served my guests a variety of wines--I consider top quality--with the Shabbat meals. While I got to sample many of them, I'll provide notes only on those that I got to drink with my meal.

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay 2006 - Its elegance stands out. The fruit is ever present with persistent notes of apples and pears, that are complimented nicely by the oak induced vanilla, maple and cinnamon. A-/**/Y

Hajdu Wines Grenache Blanc 2012 (Makom label) - The wine possesses expressive fruity and floral notes, with a hefty weight. It is very pleasing. B+/***/Y

Hagafen Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 - The tannins merged beautifully with the fruit, providing a great drinking experience. The fruit is still bright and vibrant, and the wine doesn't give you flavors of one that is aging and maturing. A-/**/Y

Four Gates Syrah 2003 - Binyomin prides himself with this wine, and rightfully so. The wine boasts a port like weight that is delightful, coupled by delicious fruit that is laced with pepper. A-/**/Y

Amongst the other wines I served were: Castel Grand Vin 2004 from a magnum, Tishbi Malbec 2009, Tishbi Shiraz 2007, Hagafen Prix Merlot 2004, Flam Syrah Reserve 2010, Hajdu Grenache 2010, Four Gates Pinot Noir 2009, Four Gates Syrah 2009, Hagafen Prix Zinfandel 2004, Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008, Four Gates Cabernet Franc 2007, Shirah Counter Punch 2010.

Best,
-> Pinchas

PS I'll post separately about the wines that were served at the wedding.

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Last edited by Pinchas L on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Mazel Tov and great wines indeed!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:53 am

Mazal tov Pinchas! Incredible selection of wines there...

Thanks Harry for browbeating me into posting :wink:

Quiet shabos this week with no guests but some wines I love and keep coming back to:

2010 Gvaot PN: A-/* This wine has developed incredibly. Very different than it was a few short months ago. I was schocked at the blueberry that now screams from this wine.

2011 Elvi In Vita: B++/*** The perfect crisp and refreshing quaffer.

2012 Flam Blanc: A-/** One of my favorite whites.

2011 Netofa Tinto: A-/*** One of my favorite go-to wines. Incredible complexity and a bargain basement price.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby gaston k » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Fri Night - Weinstock Alicante Bouschet - strange, but I also want to give it another shot.
Sat Lunch - Chimay Grand Reserve, the brown ale to beat all others.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Mazel Tov, Pinchas! Too bad you never thought of Gedalia David, my 25 year old son, though. You could have been my mechuten. Oh well, so he'll find someone else. probably my mechuten will hate wine, but you can't have everything, I suppose. Still, dreaming about what could have been...
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Mazal Tov Pinchas!

I also agree here, many wines that I equally love, particularly the 2003 Four Gates Syrah and the 2004 Hagafen Prix Zinfandel. As well, I agree with the wines that Elie enjoyed this past weekend as being among my favorites, except for the 2011 Elvi In Vita, having not tasted it unfortunately.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum