TNs: Special GMW and GHW tasting

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNs: Special GMW and GHW tasting

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I was invited tonight for a special tasting of different wines from the Galil Mountains and Golan Heights Wineries and was quite impressed. Following, my notes:

GHW, Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2007: Light gold with a rich mousse and sharp bubbles. On the nose, fresh ripe green apples, notes of lemon custard and fresh-baked brioche. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate a crisp and fine mousse that streaks across the tongue with beautifully bracing acidity along with fresh almonds, lemon zest, juicy tangerines and a touch of butterscotchy ripe apple lingering on the long, satisfying finish. I very much liked to loved all the vintages of this wine but this one is, IMHO, the best one so far. Totally agree with Raccah's A- to A.

GMW, Yiron 2005: I've not had this wine for almost 2 years until tonight. This was quite a great bottle, at its very peak but indeed, as reported by a few people here recently it seems to be about to fall off the cliff soon although it's still up there for now and it's always nice to enjoy one of my old-time favorites and one of the milestones in my wine tasting experience and education. Clean dark garnet towards purple with on the nose ripe cherries, blackberries and cassis with notes of cigar box. Full-bodied with on the palate much of the same flavors as on the nose together with a long plush finish with notes of spicy licorice and toasted oak as well as integrated tannins and a hint of bitterness. There was still some good acidity, although I know - I know, not Benyo's acidity...

GMW, Yiron Syrah 2005: Still dark shiny, almost electric royal purple with on the nose dark ripe plums, saddle leather and ripe blue and blackberries with a hint of freshly cracked pepper. Full-bodied with intense, deeply extracted fruit in the shape of blackberries and sweet yet not over-ripely sweet blueberries, soft, integrated tannins along notes of fresh leather, bittersweet chocolate and Mediterranean spices on the long, velvety finish. Outstanding.

GHW, Yarden Merlot 2003: What a nice surprise! Dark garnet with purple reflections, ripe blackberries, cherries, redcurrants and lovely perfumed Mediterranean herbs. Full-bodied, the fruit is intact and smooth, showing also sweet blackberries, redcurrants and cherries along with Mediterranean herbs and still nice acid with notes of vanilla lingering on the long finish.

GHW, Yarden Merlot 2005, Magnum: Youthful dark purple with ripe raspberries and blackberries along Mediterranean herbs on the nose as well as cigar tobacco. Full-bodied with on the palate concentrated fruit showing ripe raspberries, blackberries, ripe plums, spicy vanilla and toasted oak with near-sweet
tannins rising on the long, mouth-filling finish.

GHW, Yarden Merlot Kela Vineyard 2008: Bright garnet towards purple with on the nose ripe raspberries, roasted Mediterranean herbs and hints of leather. Full-bodied and with again multiple layers of concentrated ripe fruit including plums, raspberries, spicy roasted meat and dark chocolate with mouth-coating, searing tannins on the long finish. First time here, well-done!

GHW, Yarden Syrah 2007, Magnum: Here I was very happy! :D I must have had a (reg. size) bottle of this wine a few months as the wine was then overwhelmingly sweet and disjointed to a point that it was unbearable (I very rarely publish my scores but then scored it a 78...). Thank G-d, nothing in common with that nice magnum bottle from which I tasted tonight. Dark royal purple with on the nose smoked meat, blackberries and black pepper. Full-bodied with on the palate black cherries, blue and slightly over-ripened blackberries with hints of candied violets and milk chocolate rounding out an almost creamy yet tannic long finish with bright acidity. Yum.

GHW, Yarden Syrah 2009: I first tasted this wine 2 months ago with Dave Raccah at one of Israel's best restaurants (for its sake, please don't ask me the name). Dark, almost inky purple with on the nose ripe blueberries and blackberries along with notes of fresh leather and pepper. Full-bodied with much of the same on the palate alongside notes of licorice and dark chocolate on the long finish with very good acid and lush tannins gently coating the mouth. No overripe fruit here and it's true that at first there's some sort of a hole on the finish leaving you with a bit of perplexity, however as the wine develops in the glass most of that hole is being filled up and I find it very enjoyable.

GHW, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, Magnum: Dark cherry red with with sweet red cherries and notes of kirsch and cassis on the nose. Full-bodied, with crushed, concentrated sweet red and black currants along with red cherries,juicy plums, toasted wood, milk chocolate-covered cherries and spices lingering with mouth-coating tannins on the long, mouth-filling and juicy finish.

GHW, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2002, Double Magnum: What a nose! Dark, intense red cherry garnet with on the nose ripe plums and fresh cassis along with cherries and chocolate. Full-bodied with on the palate juicy cherries, blackberries, spicy-sweet cedar wood, plums, roasted herbs and a hint of green olives on the long, plush finish. Well, this giant of a bottle has kept the wine quite youthful and it was delightful.

GHW, Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis 2005: Beautiful gold with on the nose honeysuckle and orchids, dried apricots, caramelized almonds and sweet citrus fruit as well as hint of vanilla. Full-bodied and concentrated with on the palate unctuous creamy vanilla and orange rind as well as honey, a nice spicy botrytis funkiness with sugar coated nuts and dried mangoes on the long, layered and seemingly endless finish. I was happy to eat some roquefort and parmigiano cheese which was a heavenly match with the wine to top off the tasting.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: TNs: Special GMW and GHW tasting

Postby Harry J » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:11 am

Hi GG; having the yarden merlot 03 and the yiron 05. -which would you say should be used first ? H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 am

Harry J wrote:Hi GG; having the yarden merlot 03 and the yiron 05. -which would you say should be used first ? H

Hi Harry: Yiron '05: Drink now to drink up. Yarden Merlot '03: Drink now+

L'chaim!

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm sorry to say but the amazin '03 Yarden merlot (their last really great vintage) has LONG since turned to vinegar in the U.S.--a good few years in fact. They liquidated it at the time for real cheap. More proof of the difference in Israeli wines here and in Israel.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Stacey B » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 am

Anyone have feedback on Yarden Ortral Merlot 04 or Ortal Syrah 04 and regular Yarden Syrah 06?
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

Hey Stacy!

The Ortal Merlot 04 has time, the 04 Ortal Syrah is DRINK UP!!! No idea on the Yarden Syrah 06
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Stacey B wrote:Anyone have feedback on Yarden Ortral Merlot 04 or Ortal Syrah 04 and regular Yarden Syrah 06?

Had the 2004 Syrah Ortal over the chagim and was great though somewhat overripe. Yarden Syrah 06 a few weeks ago, great and kicking.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mike BG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 pm

David Raccah wrote:Hey Stacy!

The Ortal Merlot 04 has time, the 04 Ortal Syrah is DRINK UP!!! No idea on the Yarden Syrah 06

I cannot agree with you about the 04 Ortal Syrah. Maybe you have had some bad bottles, or maybe the shipping reduces its life a good deal?
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Maybe my problem - it is way too sweet and tastes like it is going over the hill....

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yaakov B » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Had the avital syrah 2007. Wicked! Uber-concentrated and super smooth.
Yaakov B
Cellar rat

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum