WTN: A couple of Languedocs

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: A couple of Languedocs

Postby robs_r » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:40 am

Another topic I can contribute. The area definitly is one of my most beloved in France. I fondly remember a motorcycle holiday in that area. Getting off the train in Narbonne and riding out of the city in the early morning under the gorgeous blue sky of southern France. Amazing.

Here are some of my recent tasting notes:

• 2003 Château Saint Martin de la Garrigue Coteaux du Languedoc Cuvée St. Martin - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc (1/1/2007)
    Short impressions: Despite the hot year this is a quite elegant wine. Loads of red fruit, good acidity, alcohol well integrated, good structure. Of course rather pimary but still nice to drink. Went well with the lamb chops. Drink or hold.
  • 2003 Château de Vaugelas Corbières le Prieuré - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Corbières (8/25/2006)
    Pretty nose of blackberries and cherries, with some rustic Syrah notes. Really typical southern France. Very nice palate of blackberries and earth, good acidity. No stewed or cooked flavours. Medium long finish. Rustic and pleasent. Drinks well now but should keep for some years (although I don't see a lot of improvement).
  • 2003 Château Saint Martin de la Garrigue Coteaux du Languedoc Bronzinelle - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc (8/21/2006)
    Drunk without any decanting. Short impressions: Stinky nose, quite wild but interesting (seems to be a hint of brett). In the mouth it doesn't really deliver. Have to retaste. May be decant or hold longer?
    Update: On the second day, the nose integrated better, nice dark berries an no funk any more. On the palate, no improvement. I get a slightly disjointed impression, as if the wine would be falling apart. Not very encouraging. All in all I am a bit disappointed. I will drink my second bottle soon and maybe keep the 3rd longer for "scientific" purposes.
  • 2000 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc Les Garrigues - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc (8/4/2006)
    While still fairly pleasent big, low acidity, dark fruit, a bit of alcohol and spices, the wine now falls slightly apart - the open half full bottle was pretty shot after a day in the fridge. Drink up.
  • 1999 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Méjanelle Copa Santa - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc La Méjanelle (7/2/2006)
    Fully mature. A combination of red fruit and spices. Alcohol well integrated and tannins resolved. A pleasent drink. Drink now.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
robs_r
Wine geek

Return to Wine Focus