wtn: 1990 Chapoutier Hermitage

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

wtn: 1990 Chapoutier Hermitage

Postby Michael K » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:54 am

With a dwindling quantity left, I open these with some hesitation alway. Down to three.....

Another great bottle. Great nose, very complex and mature wine. Nose of leather, forest, game and aged dried fruits. The nose is good enough alone and worth the price of admission. The wine on the palate is very complex and favours come in waves, of leather, earth, herbs, game, dried fruits, etc,....how do you explain this one???. Good presense but very balanced, very elegant and nice length. Down to three.......
Michael K
Wine guru

Re: wtn: 1990 Chapoutier Hermitage

Postby Sue Courtney » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:59 am

I take it this is the Sizeranne.
Waves, layers .... it's just something that's so fascinating about the taste of older wines.
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Michael K » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:04 am

Yes it was...sorry about that :)
Michael K
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Michael, in the early 90's was my first introduction to both Chapoutier wines and Northern Rhones. I loved it so much I bought six, out of which over the years I got lucky on catching windows on maybe two bottles while trashing the other four by drinking them too early. I just didn't understand aging well enough then. We drank the last one three years ago and it was glorious. I envy you those last three.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Michael K » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 am

Thanks Jenise! I'm an amateur when it comes to aging wine so its nice when I get lucky and hit it in the sweet spot. I'm gonna spend some time enjoying these last few.
Michael K
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus