WTN: Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 2000

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 2000

Postby Otto » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Chapelle is supposed to be pretty mediocre these days. I'm not so sure. It may not be the great wine it once was, but the couple more recent releases I've tried aren't bad at all. In fact they are good Northern Rhône wines - but they aren't worth the prices they command.

The 2000 is very forward and open without any decanting. This isn't a surprise - the vintage was IIRC rather warm, and many have shown to be very accessible early on and haven't shut down. The nose has all the typical N Rhône notes of meat, grouse blood, wet earth, pepper, dark fruit. The palate is fruity - perhaps there is also a touch of unfortunate sur maturité also -, nicely structured. The tannins are soft and ripe but there is plenty of them. The acidity isn't too noticable on the mid palate, but it does make the aftertaste bright and fresh. Long. I like it. In fact I like it very much. Not 79€ much, though.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Return to Wine Focus