WTN: `03 Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Les Jalets.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `03 Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Les Jalets.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 am

Opened 2 hrs, decanted, 100% Syrah, 12.5% alc. Previous vintage, the `02, was a horror! Purchased specifically for this months Focus, around $26 Cdn.

Colour. Bad light but guess dull ruby/purple. Thin centre w. light strawberry rim.

Nose. Floral, lots of cherry, meaty, some funk blew off. Not a big nose but appeals.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry thoughts are acidity, meaty, blood, leather. Bit raw af first, medium bodied, tannins do not overpower. Big squirt of acidity on the finish (too much), lots of cherry here, not too ripe. Some minerals and slight earthyness as it airs some more. The finish is quite acid dominated, and overall not much change in 4 hrs.Maybe hints of raspberry but that`s it. Interesting wine but not going anywhere.

Food was NY steak, dill carrots and roasted pots.
On TV, news of Beckhams $250 million deal!!!!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `03 Paul Jaboulet Aine Crozes-Hermitage Les Jalets.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:47 pm

Jan in Norway make a comment about my tasting notes. He opened same vintage on N Y Eve (with venaison) and made no note about the acidity I mentioned. Case of bottle variation or some kinda problem with my bottle??
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:45 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Jan in Norway make a comment about my tasting notes. He opened same vintage on N Y Eve (with venaison) and made no note about the acidity I mentioned. Case of bottle variation or some kinda problem with my bottle??

Maybe a case of palate opinion and expectations regarding acidity.

I have to say that your tasting note is what I'd have expected. Hard to say whether that acid kick in the arse might have mellowed with a few years more. Might just get worse.

I'd personally, given a general rule of thumb, in absence of any other additional information, have kept this a year or two more.

"Not going anywhere"--Possibly a comment on Beckham. Good luck to him in trying to fire up enthusiasm for soccer in the USA--better folks than him (e.g., Pele) have tried without success. More power to him if he succeeds. If you've got any more of the Les Jalets, it might be interesting to see what another year or two does. I don't have any of this wine so I can't do the experiment myself. :cry:

Salut,

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Michael K » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 pm

I agree with your impressions of the '02. It was not a very good wine. My bottle went down the drain after about 1/2 glass of trying to figure out what was wrong with it until I just could not do it any more.
Michael K
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus