WTN: Les Vins de Vienne "Sotanum" Collines Rhodanienne 2003

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Les Vins de Vienne "Sotanum" Collines Rhodanienne 2003

Postby Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:57 pm

100% Syrah. This is the ménage a trois brainchild of Pierre Gaillard, Yves Cuilleron, and Francois Villard. The Collines Rhodanienne is actually north of Cote-Rotie and was highly regarded by centuries of vine-tenders from the Romans all the way until the mid nineteenth century (when it was eradicated by Phylloxera). Does this count as Northern Rhone? I'm going with a resounding MAYBE!!! It's freakishly good -unsurprising considering the three masterminds behind it. The fact that there was collaboration at all speaks volumes of the character of these men (can you imagine three Bordelaise behaving so well?). My take on the wines (there are several) is that they are like tribute poems to the land that has been so good to them. The Sotanum is muscular, but without being obnoxious or bruising (and well balanced considering the vintage). Deep purple Black cherry, pomegranate, grilled red meat, pemmican, lilac and green tea. It will clearly go for years despite its vintage handicap. 13,5% $50

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Re: WTN:Les Vins de Vienne "Sotanum" Collines Rhodanienne 2003

Postby Redwinger » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting. This area is completely new to me. Sounds like a very good wine although the price is a bit ouchy for my pocketbook.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Re: WTN:Les Vins de Vienne "Sotanum" Collines Rhodanienne 2003

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm

I had a $10 Syrah from the same appelation. It was a bit thin and watery. It was also an '03. I would not buy it again. I can't recall the producer. It wasn't horrible. It was just an $8 quaffer not a $10 one.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Return to Wine Focus