WTN: `01 Cornas Sarah-Perraud (Lesec selection).

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `01 Cornas Sarah-Perraud (Lesec selection).

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:54 am

Mike B might want to chip in here as he cleared the shelf at DeVines after"My dinner with Normand". Notes to follow.

WTN: `01 Perraud Cornas Sarah.

100% Syrah, nose is singing after 1 hr decanted. Violets, smoke, dried herbs. No stems here, full, round, lavish fruit, blackberry fruit. "Some spice and white pepper", they called out as I was official note-taker!
"The alcohol is nicely in balance" thought Mishy as I grabbed some Veal Liver off Ed Fong`s plate. I was eating bison tenderloin, nice and tender too.

Cost is around $44 Cdn.

PS anyone have notes on the Le Vignon, same price?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `01 Cornas Sarah-Perraud (Lesec selection).

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 pm

I've only had the 1999 of the Sarah, Bob, and found it to be ok, but not too interesting. And at $35, it just wasnt worth it. Cant help you with the Le Vignon
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Mike B. » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:01 pm

A beautiful wine, Bob. The palate started evolving over time, with mocha flavours developing.

I also found pleasant blueberry aromas. I spent a good part of the night with my nose in the glass of that one.
Mike B.
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Hooper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Sounds great Paul. Good Cornas is hard to come by down here (UP here for most everyone else :) ). Sometimes a Clape will find its way home with me. I'll be on the lookout.

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Postby Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I've only had the 1999 of the Sarah, Bob, and found it to be ok, but not too interesting. And at $35, it just wasnt worth it. Cant help you with the Le Vignon

I used to adore Clape Cornas. Then, unfortunately for me, the rest of the world found out about it, and prices have gone through the roof. Ditto for all other Cornas I've been able to find int the New England market. Alas, it's well beyond what I'm willing to pay these days. Given the miniscule and limited quantities available, the price is unlikely to come down. Oh woe is me. :(

I still love great Cornas, if someone else is paying. :twisted:

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 pm

Paul, what do you pay for Cornas? What was the price when you used to buy more of it? I know a lot of Rhones have really shot up in price over the last five years. I'm wondering how much the Cornas has gone up. Is it like Hermitage or more like a Southern Rhone in price?
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:37 am

James Roscoe wrote:Paul, what do you pay for Cornas? What was the price when you used to buy more of it? I know a lot of Rhones have really shot up in price over the last five years. I'm wondering how much the Cornas has gone up. Is it like Hermitage or more like a Southern Rhone in price?

Sorry to say, it's as bad as Hermitage. Or worse. Clape Cornas used to be in the $15-$20 range. Then it went to the $20-$25 range. Then the US dollar collapsed, and other things happened, and suddenly its $60 per bottle. Now, granted--Hermitage in the same period went from $25 to $125+.

I still adore the wines--but only if someone else is paying. I'm sorry, but I won't buy wine that's over 5 times the price of the meal it's meant to accompany. And Cornas always was, and always will be, second-tier in the Northern Rhone to Hermitage and Cote-Rotie. Yes--those two are even worse, in terms of price inflation, but that doesn't mean I'm prepared to pay nosebleed prices for a second-tier wine.

Even the third-tier Crozes-Hermitage is overpriced these days, IMO.

This is most of the reason that I've been drinking through my current cellar accumulation these days--I find it increasingly hard to find wines I want to put in my cellar that are being sold at what I consider non-offensively high prices.

Sigh. I suppose this is part of growing old.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby James Roscoe » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 am

Ouch! That's what I was afraid of. :cry:
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:36 am

One can get lucky at auction occaisonally, Paul. I just unpacked some 95 Chapoutier Cornas and 95 Guigal Hermitage that I paid in the mid 30's for. Like you, I do balk at typical street prices, though I did bite on some 01 Jamet Cote Roties recently. If I'm ever to have that wine, it's what I have to do. But then I only buy one or two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to Wine Focus