WTN: Bolliot Champagne, Marques de Gelida Cava

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Bolliot Champagne, Marques de Gelida Cava

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:12 pm

I reviewed these for a local print publication this week, but they fit this month's Wine Focus too (or at least one of them does), so I might as well post them here too. The Cava was okay. The Billiot (a Terry Theise import via Skurnik) is killer stuff. I could have slurped the whole bottle ...

Marques de Gelida 2001 Cava Brut Exclusive Reserva ($15)

This Spanish cava shows a clear pale brass color in the glass, with a decent stream of rather large and slow-moving bubbles. Its aromas are fresh and attractive, evoking apples and toast. Tart apple flavors carry over in its crisp and creamy mouthfeel, with a gentle hint of sweetness in the background. It's a decent sparkler, easy to enjoy, without the off flavors or tangy sweet-sour character that afflicts too many low-end bubblies.

Champagne H. Billiot Fils NV Brut Rosé ($52)

This is a true "grower" Champagne from a small producer in Ambonnay, one of the top villages of the Champagne region. It's made 100 percent from black Pinot Noir grapes, which impart a pale salmon color with just a hint of rosy hue. Multiple streams of lasting pinpoint bubbles loft subtle and complex aromas that mingle apple and strawberry and a distinct hint of cocoa. Rich and rather full-bodied, crisp and tart flavors follow the nose. It finishes fresh and clean, with a lasting aftertaste of fresh apples and a citric snap.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Return to Wine Focus