WTN: Taittinger Comtes 1996; Bollinger GA 1999

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Taittinger Comtes 1996; Bollinger GA 1999

Postby Otto » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:17 pm

Posted on the main forum also.

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs 1996 c.90€

The nose was sulphur. That's it. If I tried really hard, there were some nice, bright lemony notes to it also, but the sulphur dominated everything. The palate was astonishingly lovely, however. There was much bright and citrussy fruit, lovely, high and balanced acidity and a fresh and mineral and interminable aftertaste. Just for the taste alone I would buy a million bottles - a pity I don't have the cash for even one, lol!!

Bollinger Grande Année 1999
c.110€

This was a much softer style than the previous. The fruit was grassy (anyone else find this a signature of Bolly?), very ripe - almost tropical -, floral. The palate was very ripe and fruity, the mousse wasn't as elegant as with the Taittinger. There was a strange, almost caramelly note to the aftertaste. Ok acidity, but very forward for such a young wine.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Taittinger Comtes 1996; Bollinger GA 1999

Postby Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:05 am

Otto, never found the grassy thing you're talking about in Bollies, but the caramel note in the finish, yes. It's what I love in these wines, it comes along like a sweet little surprise and lingers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Taittinger Comtes 1996; Bollinger GA 1999

Postby Hoke » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Hmmm, yeah. I don't get grassy either from Bollinger, but yes, sweet caramel, almost a caramel apple kind of flavor.

Interesting, Otto, that you tried a basic Chardonnay style of Champagne and then went with a heavy-up Pinot Noir style like Bolly. Pretty much the extremes on the scale.

I've been hearing mixed reviews on the 1999 GA. The 1990 and the 1996 are absolutely stunning bubblies, some of the best I've had in a long while. Wish I could afford to drink more of them. :)
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality

Return to Wine Focus