WTN: 1998 Henriot Rose Brut Millesime

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 1998 Henriot Rose Brut Millesime

Postby Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:00 pm

I had not had a Henriot bubbly before encountering the 96 at a champagne tasting at Hi Times' exceptional wine store in Southern California, but it was a favorite that night and so I jumped at these roses when I saw them recently at a comparatively low price.

Well, the '98's clearly not the equal of its older sister but it's certainly worth what I paid. Pale copper pink color. Good mousse and fine bubbles, but the spritz isn't persistent and it fades toward the end of the glass. The nose is floral with a bit of red apple and toast, and there's a hint of a sherry flavor which, however pleasant (and it is), seems like an interloper. The cork popped almost too easily--I'm wondering if a less-than-perfect seal is responsible for both the sherry component and the less-than-stellar carbonation. I hope so; I have a few more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: 1998 Henriot Rose Brut Millesime

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 pm

Jenise wrote:I had not had a Henriot bubbly before encountering the 96 at a champagne tasting at Hi Times' exceptional wine store in Southern California, but it was a favorite that night and so I jumped at these roses when I saw them recently at a comparatively low price.

Well, the '98's clearly not the equal of its older sister but it's certainly worth what I paid. Pale copper pink color. Good mousse and fine bubbles, but the spritz isn't persistent and it fades toward the end of the glass. The nose is floral with a bit of red apple and toast, and there's a hint of a sherry flavor which, however pleasant (and it is), seems like an interloper. The cork popped almost too easily--I'm wondering if a less-than-perfect seal is responsible for both the sherry component and the less-than-stellar carbonation. I hope so; I have a few more.

Rose Champagne is ALWAYS worth the extra premium. It may be my favorite wine. Thank you for the note. I hope the rest of your stash is okay.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Return to Wine Focus