It ain`t port but name Fonseca sounds familar!!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

It ain`t port but name Fonseca sounds familar!!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:25 pm

As Portugal wines are being featured as Wine of the Month over on Netscape, thought this cellared wine would be ready to taste. A blend of Touriga Nacional and Franca, 13% alc, good cork and decanted. Produced by Jose Maria da Fonseca in the Setabul peninsular.

Color. Dull ruby-red w. some bricking starting to show on the rim. Very indistinct centre, no depth period!

Nose. Very meaty and plums, nothing stands out here.

Palate. Soft tannins, cassis and cherry, low acidity. Nothing excites and not going anywhere, especially with the touch of hardness on the finish. Does not make it in my books.

Cost was around $19.00 Cdn.

TN: `03 Morgadio da Torre Alvarinho Vinho Verde- Sogrape.

Color. Medium lemon, no bubbles. 12.5% alc.

Nose. On opening salty and minerally. As it airs,lemony and peach. This is a good typical nose in my books! Limey as it warms up too.

Palate. Crisp, quite creamy in its way. Good acidity is the norm, tangy finish w. hints of red grapefruit, lime and kumquats. Excellent structure and I like all the complexity here. Acid heads will go overboard for this one! All in all standard tasting notes I guess!
I also found a brief hint of nuts on the finish (?), and found it quite saline, mouthwatering. This is a very good VV, dry naturally, and one to seek out with your seafood/shellfish meal coming up. Anyhows off to my port tasting!!!

Cost is about $17 Cdn.
Food: Shrimp in a butter garlic sauce.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus