WTN: `03 Casa de la Ermita (Blue cap), Jumilla Spain.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `03 Casa de la Ermita (Blue cap), Jumilla Spain.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:36 am

Winery founded in `99, not much of a track record yet. This is oaked and a blend of Monastrell, Tempranillo, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Syrah. 13.5% alc, natural cork.

Opened half hour, was a mistake not to decant? Fair amount of sediment found later on.

Color. Dull garnet, not a big intense centre. Large lags here.

Nose. Funky, oaky, bit of initial heat. Blackberry, earthy not much else even after time airing.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is dry, soft tannins, nice acidity. Lengthy aftertaste with cherry, meaty tones. Nothing really stands out here, still a tad too young? Could be rustic to some palates but this blend does not work for me in this hot dry area.

****2nd day quite a change on the finish, sour cherry and a lot more acid. Bizarre to say the least. What happened here?

Cost around $20 Cdn.
Food was Cajun Pork Skewers.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `03 Casa de la Ermita (Blue cap), Jumilla Spain.

Postby Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:16 pm

This wine has all that blended in it? I think I have one in the cellar (probably an older vintage), and I thought it was pretty much straight monastrell.

I'm sure the wine is, as you concluded, too young to get much out of. Blends are hard for me to appreciate at this stage, too--with all those different players, it seems to be about nothing. Time works wonders.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: `03 Casa de la Ermita (Blue cap), Jumilla Spain.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:36 pm

Depends on the colour of the cap. There are at least 3 blends out there.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus