WTN: 2001 Old Telegram (Bonny Doon)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2001 Old Telegram (Bonny Doon)

Postby Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:02 am

Several years ago Christian Miller posted a TN that included a very positive review of this wine. More a fan of Bonny Doon's marketing than the wines themselves up to that point in time, but with a soft spot for Randall Grahm's mother with whom back in the 90's I spent one crazy crazy evening in Anchorage, Alaska, I picked up a few bottles. In fact, it was on a return trip to Anchorage that I bought three as kind of a momento of that visit. It just felt right.

Tonight, with a wonderful warm charcute and loaf of hot and crusty rye bread, I decided it was time to see how these were doing.

My expectations were exceeded: tangy plum and huckleberry flavors, turmeric root, olive and dark chocolate flavors meld into a sun-dried tomato finish. It's not the pretty ballerina that the Swan mouvedre I recently posted about was, and it's not the herbs and blood of the Bandols. It's more like an old-fashioned new world wine. Neither entirely California modern nor entirely traditional, and definitely not stripped of personality in the way many wines described as "international" are. Very, VERY pleasing now, and it should have no problem holding here or improving for a couple of years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: 2001 Old Telegram (Bonny Doon)

Postby Otto » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 am

Jenise wrote:My expectations were exceeded: tangy plum and huckleberry flavors, turmeric root, olive and dark chocolate flavors meld into a sun-dried tomato finish. It's not the pretty ballerina that the Swan mouvedre I recently posted about was, and it's not the herbs and blood of the Bandols. It's more like an old-fashioned new world wine. Neither entirely California modern nor entirely traditional, and definitely not stripped of personality in the way many wines described as "international" are. Very, VERY pleasing now, and it should have no problem holding here or improving for a couple of years.

This is pretty much how I thought the 2002: personal, not European (as it shouldn't be since it isn't European), but not typical Cali fruit bomb either, certainly not international. I rather liked it though it was big.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:38 am

The 02 was probably bigger than the 01 if the difference between most 01's and 02's I've had holds for where these grapes were grown. IOW, I wouldn't have thought to call it 'big', though it's no flyweight. Interesting that a Bonny Doon made it to Finland, was this a handcarry from one of your friends or one that showed up in your dadgumgummint liquor store?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Otto » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:29 pm

It was in a big walkabout tasting. Many interesting things are imported here, but selling them straight to consumers is illegal - that's only allowed through restaurants. But gladly I'm occasionally invited to trade tastings so I get to taste a few interesting things. What I'd like to see is some truly interesting US producers like Edmund St. John over here! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:32 pm

Otto, you may have to wait awhile!! Haven`t you just started with Beringer "Blush"?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus