The madness surrounding Hecula!!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

The madness surrounding Hecula!!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:53 pm

WTN: `01 Bodegas Castano Monastrell Yecla Hecula.

This much-talked about wine comes from Yecla, in S Spain, and it created a lot of press by RP on release. I never thought it was worth such a high rating, its an entry level wine from a little known region. 14% alc, Monastrell is known as Mourvedre elsewhere.
My original tasting notes mention brambly/currants/dry/leather/spicy oak/not too smooth/rustic and i wonder about the future. So here goes.........!

Color. Medium red-ruby with fair intense centre. Showing some light brick on rim. Big clinging legs.

Nose. Bit of heat on the nose here, but lots of fruit gushing out of glass. Redcurrant, floral, hint of that meatyness (mourvedre).

Palate. Opened an hour, not decanted with some sediment spotted at end of bottle. Initial entry is low tannin, dry, earthy. Not much has changed eh.Medium-bodied, good spice but could use some more fruit. "Some heat here" thought one taster, others commented "nothing special but not a fan of Spain".
To me, its all average stuff and sure there are better examples around.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: The madness surrounding Hecula!!

Postby Sue Courtney » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi Bob,
That's an older vintage Castano you had. From my little experience with Castano, it seems to be a style that is pretty yum and juicy when young. I had the 2005 a couple of weeks ago and was reasonably impressed - it was the kind of wine you could take to a friends place who is not into wine in a big way and it would go down pretty well. The label is pretty modern too - made to appeal to the younger set, I'm sure. Here's my note.

Castano Monastrell 2005 - Yecla, Spain
Inky purple red, dense, bright. Fragrant savoury oak and concentrated berry fruit on nose, creamy oak and juicy berry fruit in the palate which is soft and succulent with a fine tannin structure, musky spices and a smoky, earthy finish that becomes quite floral as it lingers. A modern style with a modern label and excellent value at under NZ$15. Tasted Oct 2006.

Mind you, I followed the Castano with a Coto de Hayas Reserva 2002 made from Grenache - and wow - complex and exciting, even better with food, more of the style of wine I love.

Cheers,
Sue
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus