WTN: Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Tourtine 1995

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Tourtine 1995

Postby Otto » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Tourtine 1995 12,5%

This was quite a delicious wine. It was served fully blind to me almost a year ago, and I don't think I've written up a note, so here it is!

The nose is quite vegetal, animal, earthy, yet ripely fruity, cigary and has a very prominent note of strawberry. The palate is moderately tannic, but has fair acidity and is perfectly balanced to cope with the warm fruit. Lovely wine, elegant despite being a bit full-on. My guess: maybe a more elegant Aussie Grenache (so much strawberry aromas), but that doesn't fit the dung component. Well, one should go with one's first guess.

With hindsight, the first guess was wrong this time, though in blind tastings, I do agree that the first impression tends to be right! :) With hindsight again it's easy to say that no New World wine has ever been so earthy and funky and shitty - but this infinite variety in wine is what makes wine tasting so much fun both intellectually and physically!

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Tourtine 1995

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:30 pm

Great stuff Otto. Funky, garrigue right up my alley!! Sorin notes tomorrow, probably too young?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Tourtine 1995

Postby Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 pm

Otto, we had a bottle of this we drank around the year 2000, and I can't imagine it turning into anything resembling an Aussie grenache. Almost sounds like your bottle was a little closed. I get that strawberry note on a lot of wines when they're in a dormant stage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to Wine Focus