The `99 Bunan Bandol (originally posted on Open Mike).

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

The `99 Bunan Bandol (originally posted on Open Mike).

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:42 am

WTN: `99 Bandol Moulin des Costes---Bunan.

The story of Bunan was posted compliments of Chris kissick, the wine doctor, by me yesterday. Pulled from the cellar and opened 6 hours, not decanted yet. 13.5%, long cork, 75% Mourvedre plus Cinsault, Syrah and Grenache.
Busy busy day so my impressions are a bit brief, but things will improve tomorrow I guess.

Colour. Orange on rim, light centre, some reddish tones. I am quite surprised at the developed colour, very light in my opinion.

Nose. Chocolate, tobacco, garrique, hint of horse box! Could be mistaken for a claret. Could change overnight.

Palate. Drinking very well which is a surprise. Dry, not too tannic. Plum, pepper, savoury, earthy. Has a complex meaty finish, medium weight overall. No metallic edge like I found in a `98 from same winery. Does not appear to be too much going on here but I am having a hard time concentrating.

Sounds like the Tempier, Pibarnon and Pradeaux could have more complexity. Maybe it`s the vintage?

Cost was $27.00 Cdn
Food, braised chicken supremes.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus