What's the focus for October?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

What's the focus for October?

Postby Bill Hooper » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:45 pm

I really was going to buy and drink a cabernet from the US or Chile. I was going to post tasting notes on it. But it just didn't happen. I just couldn't do it. New world Cabernet is just too damn boring (IMNSHO). I promise I'll participate next month -Even if it's Australian Shiraz or some such thing :wink:

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Re: What's the focus for October?

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:01 am

Bill Hooper wrote:I really was going to buy and drink a cabernet from the US or Chile. I was going to post tasting notes on it. But it just didn't happen. I just couldn't do it. New world Cabernet is just too damn boring (IMNSHO). I promise I'll participate next month -Even if it's Australian Shiraz or some such thing :wink:

We just decided today: Bandol!

And over on Netscape as Wine of the Month, the broader equivalent, Mourvedre-based wines.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:05 am

Bandol for October? I guess we can move this weekends Open Mike subject over here?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Otto » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:17 am

Bandol! Yaaay! Bob, I guess we should move the Open Mike Bandol thread down here (or if Robin will be kind enough to do so with his magic wand?).

A pity we only have one Bandol over here. Not sure I'll be very active this month. :(
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:16 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Bandol! Yaaay! Bob, I guess we should move the Open Mike Bandol thread down here (or if Robin will be kind enough to do so with his magic wand?).

A pity we only have one Bandol over here. Not sure I'll be very active this month. :(

Otto, I can move the Bandol thread, or not ... I'm not sure it matters much. Maybe it might be better to leave it in WLDG for now, and use it to talk up the Wine Focus for those who don't always think to check this forum?

You do make a good point about there not being enough Bandol in most markets to justify a month-long feature. I don't think it's written anywhere that we must take up a full month, though. Just throwing out an idea, maybe we could do it for 10 days or two weeks, then move to another topic?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:51 am

Sounds good to me!! Do Bandol for 2 weeks and then change fits in with me pretty good. I can keep Otto busy with Open Mike ideas, LOL.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:31 pm

Is there a Bandol that costs less than $20 U.S.? The least expensive one around here is Domaine Gros Nore for $20.99 U.S.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Is there a Bandol that costs less than $20 U.S.? The least expensive one around here is Domaine Gros Nore for $20.99 U.S.

Carl, assuming you mean Bandol Rouge (white and rosé versions are made, and generally cost less), most do begin around $20. A quick peek at Wine-Searcher.com finds a few in the $15 to $20 range, however, so if shipping is a possibility, you might try that.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks, I'll try that Robin. Incidentally the white and rose' versions around here are also in $20s U.S.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:48 pm

Someone explain Bandol to the idiot from Maryland! :oops: (That would be me.) I assume it is French and all, and I have heard of it, but how does it deserve an entire month? I'm not opposed, I just need to hear why it's so great. While we're at it, I guess I'm with Bill H. on the entire New World Cab. deal. I just don't drink them that often.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Otto » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:00 pm

James Roscoe wrote:...but how does it deserve an entire month? I'm not opposed, I just need to hear why it's so great.

1) It smells of s**t

2) Most are still unspoofulated

3) I say so

4) Yummy

5) despite the cheapes good ones being in the 15-20€ it still is good QPR

6) etc. ad inf

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:04 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:...but how does it deserve an entire month? I'm not opposed, I just need to hear why it's so great.

1) It smells of s**t

2) Most are still unspoofulated

3) I say so

4) Yummy

5) despite the cheapes good ones being in the 15-20€ it still is good QPR

6) etc. ad inf

-O-

All good reasons no doubt, but if you read #1 it should say you're full of s**t! :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:34 pm

Bandol rocks!! You wanna wine experience, line a couple up there James.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Alejandro Audisio » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:50 am

Is there a place where one can see what the previous focuses were about...? Im thinking a directory or logbook of sorts...
Alejandro Audisio
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus