WTN: 2005 Montes Cab/Carmenere blend, Apalta Vineyard

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2005 Montes Cab/Carmenere blend, Apalta Vineyard

Postby Jenise » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:45 pm

I was buying a gift sixpack of wines for some friends who favor young, new world wines today, and it's a situation where quantity trumps quality and so I selected a bottle of this wine for that purpose. Then I remembered Wine Focus so I grabbed an extra bottle for the Gipper. Or should I say Doris.

It's about 70/30 Cab to Carmenere, and I'm surprised I like this wine. Though it's the majority, the cab isn't as recognizable ( someone who drinks Chileans often might see it differently) as the Carmenere which delivers it's usual boatload of creamy chocolatey flavors to the cab's licorice-y black fruit and cigar box notes. What stands out is the wine's balance--it's a big wine but very elegant and easy to taste, though there are some green tannins of the tongue-coating variety and they're becoming more assertive as I sip--but it's an 05 for gosh sakes, just a baby. Montes admirers will enjoy this one, and the friends who get the sixpack will think I spent more than I did (around $10 or $12). Not that I'm going to start buying $10 Chileans, but it's more deft and sopisticated than most wines in this price range.

Edit to add this comment two hours later: I should know better than to post on a wine so young and so soon after opening. The chocolate and berry flavors fast into a stream of camphor, a descriptor I didn't understand until a Buddhist monk gave me a bracelet made of camphor wood a few weeks ago. That smell has been haunting me--I knew I'd encountered it in wine, and I knew I'd run into it again and have a descriptor for something previously elusive. Well, here it is now: camphor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: 2005 Montes Cab/Carmenere blend, Apalta Vineyard

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:58 am

Camphor, don`t you rub that into aching muscles?!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: 2005 Montes Cab/Carmenere blend, Apalta Vineyard

Postby Ian Sutton » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:48 pm

If I had to rely on cheap wines, I reckon Montes would form a decent core of the cellar. The only one I really disliked was the Montes Alpha Chardonnay (horribly overworked). The reserve (sic) Sauvignon Blanc is very good VFM and there's often a "special" on the generally strong Alpha's. Their big challenge seems to be lifting this base quality up to something distinctive and classy. Might take some time?

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Wine Focus