Is this the same wine I tasted last night?!!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Is this the same wine I tasted last night?!!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:09 am

WTN: `03 Cousino-Macul Cabernet Sauvignon Antiguas Reservas,Maipo Valley Chile.

Opened 2 hours, not decanted. Natural cork, 13.5% alc. Has had some good reviews along with the newly released Los Vascos, which I am informed is quite "stemmy". This winery has a long history but not a lot of glitter!

Colour. Ruby red with watery purple rim. Good depth here.

Nose. Plum, cherry, herbal, quite savoury (in access). Oak tends to dominate first few hours, seems rustic to me.

Palate. Initial entry mouthfeel is earthy, pepper, woody, cherry and tannic. Shortish finish with lead pencil notes, tad green too.Very tight and hard to pick out the fruit. Think quite backward but maybe with time? Medium bodied, not too impressive at this time.

Cost was $17.00 Cdn.
Food NY steak and mushrooms.

After 24 hrs (vacu-vin). Big developement overnight, much more accessible with some ripe black fruits, cassis especially. Still tannic but can handle this with food. The oaky tones are still there but wonder if this one is going anywhere? Would not buy again but nice try!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus