Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby Tyler Brebbermann » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:58 pm

Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Livermore Valley San Francisco Bay 2003 13.5 % vol. $ 11.99

A decent ruby red color. Light aromas of fresh red berries (and nothing else). Red berries again on the palate with moderate acidity. Particularly light bodied with a very lackluster finish. A very simple cab not really baring resemblance to anything.
Tyler Brebbermann
Wine geek

Re: Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:22 am

Hi Tyler, how`s it going out there? Still working in the business I guess. Your first choice did not take you to great heights I see!! What else do you have lined up?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon + Pinot

Postby AaronW » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:31 am

Tyler Brebbermann wrote:Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Livermore Valley San Francisco Bay 2003 13.5 % vol. $ 11.99

A decent ruby red color. Light aromas of fresh red berries (and nothing else). Red berries again on the palate with moderate acidity. Particularly light bodied with a very lackluster finish. A very simple cab not really baring resemblance to anything.

Hey Tyler,
Had a Pinot by "Wente" recently, from "Arroyo Seco" something or other, and was equally unimpressed as you were with the Cab. I'm curious. Does "Wente" have a signature flagship wine that they're known for? Just wondering.
AaronW
Ultra geek

Re: Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon + Pinot

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:31 am

Aaron, if I'm not mistaken, in the distant past Wente did have a signature wine. And it was white. It was called--are you ready for it--Green Hungarian. I don't know anything about it except that my parents thought they were the metrosexuals of their time for favoring it, though it fell off the planet once they discovered Blue Nun. It was probably one of those sylvaner type grapes.

I don't think Wente's done anything of note since. Their reds tend to be from California's warmer zones and those just don't make very interesting wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:38 am

Tyler Brebbermann wrote:Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Livermore Valley San Francisco Bay 2003 13.5 % vol. $ 11.99

Hi Tyler, after the Open Mike Riesling thingy it`s nice to get back here!! Just opened the `02 Sebastiani Sonoma Co. Cab Sauv, very nice and singing. Stay tuned!! Do you have any other CS lined up?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus