WTN: `03 Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Oaks--J Lohr, Paso Robles Calif.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `03 Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Oaks--J Lohr, Paso Robles Calif.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:14 am

Round 1 of the shoot-out!!

"The structure of the reds coming out of Paso Robles tends to be soft and fleshy, with gentle tannins and a more overt fruit character". Quote from the Wines of California, Stephen Brook.

WTN: `03 Cab Sauv. Seven Oaks- J Lohr, Paso Robles.

A winery that is on the up and up, so I`ve been told! Gravel, clay, limestone mixed terroir. Entry level wine for this winery and readily available, features on quite a few winelists. 13.5% alc.

Colour. Medium intensity in the centre with a pale watery purple rim. Sort of a typical deepish claret.

Nose. Cherry, cassis, spice, oak, pepper, cocoa. Not a lot of developement over 24 hrs.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is cheek-tannins!! Red berry, plum, cassis, some pepper. Good concentration and grip, acidity not bad. Too young for me, does not show a lot of ripeness. Will it ever? Finish is lead pencil, white pepper and oaky. Food helps this one however and a lot going on here. P Verdot and Merlot blended in.
After 24 hrs still hard on the finish, still herby and that pencil note. Would like to try in a year or so.

Cost was around $20 Cdn.
Food- Chicken breast in a mushroom sauce.

*****wonder how the Sebastiani will compare to this one?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `03 Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Oaks--J Lohr, Paso Robles Calif.

Postby Jenise » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 pm

Bob, what you just described--plus aggressive marketing--is why the J. Lohr is on so many wine lists. It's always soft and easy. I bet you'll like the Sebastiani a bit better--a little more structure and overall character.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby AaronW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Round 1 of the shoot-out!!

"The structure of the reds coming out of Paso Robles tends to be soft and fleshy, with gentle tannins and a more overt fruit character". Quote from the Wines of California, Stephen Brook.

WTN: `03 Cab Sauv. Seven Oaks- J Lohr, Paso Robles.

A winery that is on the up and up, so I`ve been told! Gravel, clay, limestone mixed terroir. Entry level wine for this winery and readily available, features on quite a few winelists. 13.5% alc.

Colour. Medium intensity in the centre with a pale watery purple rim. Sort of a typical deepish claret.

Nose. Cherry, cassis, spice, oak, pepper, cocoa. Not a lot of developement over 24 hrs.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is cheek-tannins!! Red berry, plum, cassis, some pepper. Good concentration and grip, acidity not bad. Too young for me, does not show a lot of ripeness. Will it ever? Finish is lead pencil, white pepper and oaky. Food helps this one however and a lot going on here. P Verdot and Merlot blended in.
After 24 hrs still hard on the finish, still herby and that pencil note. Would like to try in a year or so.

Cost was around $20 Cdn.
Food- Chicken breast in a mushroom sauce.

*****wonder how the Sebastiani will compare to this one?

Sorry Bob, big dummy here. :oops: :oops: What does "WTN" mean? And are there any other "codes" I ought to know to help me out on the forum? :oops:
AaronW
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Wine Tasting Note..Uncle Robin says use this heading for all tasting notes so easy to retrieve in the archives whatever. At least, I think that is the idea!!!! LOL
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:33 pm

AaronW. wrote:Sorry Bob, big dummy here. :oops: :oops: What does "WTN" mean? And are there any other "codes" I ought to know to help me out on the forum? :oops:

Aaron, don't worry, there's no such thing as a dumb question in the sincere pursuit of information. Sometimes we forget that our forum acronyms aren't necessarily well-known.

Quick answer, "WTN" means "Wine Tasting Note." We put this abbreviation at the start of the subject line for any post that contains a description of a wine tasted, to facilitate narrowing searches by using WTN as one of the search terms.

Don't worry about the rest - you'll pick it up, and don't be shy to ask as we go along.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jenise » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:15 pm

Aaron--Robin said it well. I can only add that I don't think we use too many codes. QPR is about the only other one that immediately comes to mind (Quality/Price Ratio) that's wine-specific and not a common net abbreviation (like IIRC, for 'If I Recall Correctly', just for instance).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to Wine Focus