1999 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

1999 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Earlier in the month, I posted a TN on the 1994 vintage of this wine,http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27286

now the 1999.
1999 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (10/18/2009)
Still a quite rich & youthful purple colour.
On the nose ... well this might divide people! Antiseptic, perhaps more TCP than sticking plaster, but one assumes Brettanomyces. No problem for me, but for others it would be clearly too much. There is decent dark-fruited support FWIW.

Nice balance on the palate, with a tight frame and arguably even some elegance. Acidity supports well, the fruit is vibrant and far from baked or flabby. The antiseptic / emerging barnyard elements add to the picture (to my tastes). What tannins remain are soft and unobtrusive, lending as much to a sense of control/balance as having a say themselves.

Whilst this may well hold for a good few years, I really like where it is now and would suggest drinking up soon. It's certainly 'in a good place' now.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: 1999 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks for the note Ian. I missed the '99, but still have the '98 and '00 lurking downstairs. Time to take a look.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus