WTN: 1988 PJA Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 1988 PJA Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:33 pm

1988 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (10/7/2009)
Tasted in a Burgundy glass - in part to see how such a wine fares in such bulbous stemware.

A smokey, meaty nose with some decent fruit in the background, requiring a swirl to bring it out.

On the palate quite elegant, with the fruit still hanging in there, in good balance with tertiary aspects which give fine complexity. Acidity is nicely supportive of a good length raspberry-accented finish.

It should be a good food match as well - we'll be trying that theory out with Guinea-Fowl, so potentially more thoughts on the wine later.

POSTSCRIPT: Yes, the wine very much 'filled out' when tasted with food and the match was a good one. Going back to the wine after the meal, it's now struggling a little with the raspberry becoming more obvious and dominant.

This is the 2nd bottle of this we had and both have provided plenty of interest. Time to break out the *SIDRAT and head back in time 20 years to pick up what I believe was a very moderately priced wine in it's day.

regards

Ian

* SIDRAT as I got the cheaper model that's significantly smaller on the inside than it looks from the outside (credit: Peter Whitehead, my old geology teacher for that one)
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN: 1988 PJA Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks Ian. I loved the '95 and '98 of this wine (the only two vintages I ever bought - the '95 very early in my wine life).
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: 1988 PJA Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

Postby Tony Fletcher » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Nice notes Ian, Glad to know that 1988 lasted so long. I kept a 96 for over a decade and it was drinking beautifully.

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
Tony Fletcher
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus