WTN: 2007 Domaine Alary Daniel et Denis La Gerbaude CDR

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2007 Domaine Alary Daniel et Denis La Gerbaude CDR

Postby Drew Hall » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 am

I was in Ocean City Maryland, over the last several days, attending a conference on emergency planning for special needs populations. On the way down HAD to stop at Coastal Wine and Spirits which is 12 miles north of Lewis, Delaware. Picked up 6 different 07' CDR's, this '07 Domaine Alary Daniel et Denis La Gerbaude being one of them. Beautiful new world style Cotes du Rhone...try to find it. Dark purple/garnet in the glass. Very floral with raspberry, raspberry liquor and kirsh on the nose. Like flavors, very concentrated, glycerin infused with hints of chambord. Wonderful. Grenache based blend.
14% Alc/vol. $16

Drew
Drew Hall
Wine guru

Re: WTN: 2007 Domaine Alary Daniel et Denis La Gerbaude CDR

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Sounds like a CdR one might consider for a restaurant wine list but guess hand-selling would be needed.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm all for hand-selling. IMHO, waitpersons and sommeliers don't do it often enough. One restaurant has a hard time selling Riesling because customers think it is always sweet and a dessert wine, but by pouring a few sips to try, they could convince diners that it can also be a dry wine and quite food-friendly. I was convinced to try an expensive Chenin Blanc dessert wine recently because the diners at the table next to me knew about it and requested it (it wasn't printed on the dessert wine list). So word-of-mouth can be convincing at times.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby John F » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 pm

the Alary wines are always wildly good QPR in my opinion - I buy them whenever I see them
John F
Ultra geek

Postby Tim York » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 am

This one sounds lovely; I'll look out for the domaine. I don't know Domaine Daniel and Denis Alary but I can vouch for the fact that Frédéric and François Alary also produce reliably wonderful and reasonably priced wines masquerading under the name Oratoire Saint-Martin.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus