Cotes du Rhone soda (bleh)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Cotes du Rhone soda (bleh)

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Opened a bottle of the 2007 Domaine de la Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine to have today, and for the second time with this same wine from the same case it is a refermenting nightmare. It smells like slightly sour raspberry and rosemary soda & has a lot of fizz. With time in the glass the aromas are more and more like a winery in fall (i.e. fermentation aromas). I have now had 5 bottles from the case, with 3 very, very good & two hopeless garbage.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: Cotes du Rhone soda (bleh)

Postby John Treder » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Those odds wouldn't be good enough for me to go back - even if it was Really Cheap.

John
John in the wine county
John Treder
Zinaholic

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:46 pm

It was really cheap ($12), but not really cheap enough.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Jonathan Loesberg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 am

A lot of people are noticing this, so there must have been a bad batch. Mine, so far, thankfully, have been fine, but I've only had a couple of bottles as I'm still drinking versions going back to 04.

Some fizz is actually normal and the French back label recommends letting the wine breath to let that blow off. What you are describing is way beyond that. It sounds as if a batch of this wine was bottled from an odd lot.
Jonathan Loesberg
Wine geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:04 am

Yes, I have had some from other vintages where a little time took care of it, but this batch is notably different.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus