WTN: One more M. Lapierre VdPdGaules 2007

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: One more M. Lapierre VdPdGaules 2007

Postby Otto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 pm

M. Lapierre Vin de Pays des Gaules 2007 100% Gamay, mostly from Morgon but with some purchased grapes from outside the appellation. 14,75€ from the special order selection; 12,5% abv.

It is rare to see a wine that I like so much that in just a couple months I find an excuse to open it in almost any social even and also when I just want a drop of something with my dinner. This has been available only for a couple months and I must have opened half a case of these already!

A very light red. A lovely, vibrant scent of game birds' blood and sweet red fruit. It is paradoxical in being both light and substantial. It starts out with a burst of fresh fruit (I feel like the cartoon on the label), but it has wonderful acidity. Dangerously moreish.

I think this wine shows all the best aspects of "natural" wine. I prefer science to lunacy, but I still find many "natural" wines to be some of the most pleasurable drinks available. They seem to have a lightness and vibrancy even when coming from warmer regions (COS or Cornelissen), and never feel ponderous. And mercifully few "natural" producers are enamored of excessive oak.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: One more M. Lapierre VdPdGaules 2007

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:10 am

Over on another board someone suggested "low tech" as a substitute for "natural" and I think I am in complete agreement. Once the grapes get planted in a specific site the quesiton of what is natural gets polarizing and blurry.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus