WTN: Dismay Noir

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Dismay Noir

Postby Jenise » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:36 pm

2003 Hillside Estate Winery Reserve Series Gamay Noir
Okanagan Valley, BC

Purchased upon recommendation of a friend who manages a VQA store in Van. I must have a word with him! Smelled of vodka and stewed prunes--seems much higher than it's 13.3% alcohol stated on the bottle but that's of really no consequence because the wine is simply vapid from oxidation. Horrible stuff.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Dismay Noir

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Tough luck there Jenise. BTW does Blue Mountain have a Gamay? I have come across Sandhill so brought a bottle.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Jenise » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Blue Mountain does. Or at least, I tasted one about 18 months ago at a charity tasting they do in Van every year. But come to think of it, I'm on their mailing list and I've never been offered any to buy so maybe that was a one-off.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Vodka and stewed prunes? Ack...
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus