WTN: Rasteau from Beaurenard; ideal for the purpose?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Rasteau from Beaurenard; ideal for the purpose?

Postby Tim York » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Côtes du Rhône Villages Rasteau 2007 - Domaine du Beaurenard (Paul Coulon et fils) - Alc. 14.5% - (€11,50)

IMHO, it is absolutely ideal for barbecue grilled meat and sauces. Deep purple tinged colour; nose of anise impregnated dark fruit. Palate was full bodied and generous, the fruit was sweet not savoury and was enhanced by Provençal herb, pepper and anise; the finish was supported by well covered ("enrobés") and tangy tannins and was quite long; not a trace here of parasitical flavour coming from oak. This is more generous but with less acidity than my memory of the 2004 and I think that it should be drunk up in the next 24 months; 16/20 QPR!.

It was a warm evening (c. 23°C/73°F) and the wine showed best initially at 16/17°C; warming up over the course of the meal, it lost some liveliness.

Here is a link to the estate's website http://www.beaurenard.fr/indexgb.htm .
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Rasteau from Beaurenard; ideal for the purpose?

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:25 pm

It does sound like a great barbeque/grilling wine.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:39 pm

parasitical flavour coming from oak.

See you are on good form as usual Tim!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby michael dietrich » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I have sold this wine for the last couple of vintages. I think it has gotten much better since 2005. It seemed to have picked up more weight and density compared to 2004 and prior. It sells here for $18. If someone is wondering if they would like CDP this is what I have them try for entry level.
Last edited by David M. Bueker on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correcting obvious vintage (typing) error
michael dietrich
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus