WTN: Pala Salnico Nuragus 2007

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Pala Salnico Nuragus 2007

Postby Bruce Hayes » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm

DOC Nurgus Di Cagliari

Made from 100 per cent Nuragus, which, I am informed, is the most ancient grape of Sardinia.

Light yellow in the glass.

Clean, citrus rind on the nose.

Nicely tangy bite, salty, good weighty mouthfeel, fleshy lemon, apple, a hint of orange, light honey, peppery.

Citrus rind, light bittterness on the finish.

A complex, distinctive and delicious wine.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
Last edited by Bruce Hayes on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Hayes
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Pala Salnico Nurgus 2007

Postby Jenise » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:30 pm

If my name were Nurgus, I'd change it. Or Nuragus, for that matter, since you use both spellings. Sounds like Italian for Nerve Gas. :)

But what an unusual grape you found--never have heard of it. Sounds delightful--what was the alcohol level, if you noted it? Could that have been the source of the bitterness on the finish?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bruce Hayes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Jenise wrote:If my name were Nurgus, I'd change it. Or Nuragus, for that matter, since you use both spellings. Sounds like Italian for Nerve Gas. :)

But what an unusual grape you found--never have heard of it. Sounds delightful--what was the alcohol level, if you noted it? Could that have been the source of the bitterness on the finish?

Sorry guys, I spelled the name incorrectly in the subject line. The name of the grape is Naragus and I have fixed it.

The alcohol level was 12.9 per cent, so hard to say if that had anything to do with the bitter bite.
Bruce Hayes
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Jenise wrote:If my name were Nurgus, I'd change it. Or Nuragus, for that matter, since you use both spellings. Sounds like Italian for Nerve Gas. :)

Sorry guys, I spelled the name incorrectly in the subject line. The name of the grape is Naragus and I have fixed it.

The alcohol level was 12.9 per cent, so hard to say if that had anything to do with the bitter bite.

Naragus is a bit better. But not much. :) 12.9% probably wasn't the bitter thing, rather something more intrinsic to the grape. Sounds good though, most of us like/tolerate bitter well when it's not alcohol driven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to Wine Focus