Kastelet White Wine

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Kastelet White Wine

Postby JC (NC) » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 pm

I tried this Dalmatian (Croatia) white blend of four grapes but it was pretty awful. The grapes were Marastina, Trbljan, Zlataric (sounds like a medicine) and Visokokvalitemih. How's that for offbeat? Another reviewer said it tasted rough and unfinished. (My bottle did go "unfinished." Tried one glass and then down the drain.)
Revived my palate with a Saar Riesling (will post on main Wine Forum.) Next up a not-so-obscure Rioja white from Viura grape (a wine somewhat unusual for me but not for others) and a Rhone white which again may not be obscure to others but something I rarely purchase or try.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Re: Kastelet White Wine

Postby Otto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Even though I just discussed Croatian wines with a friend who recently visited, these are all four grapes I didn't hear him mention and which I hadn't heard of before (though I think the amount of local grapes I had heard of before his trip was about one, lol!). A very interesting wine, but a shame it wasn't any better.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Return to Wine Focus