WTN: 2007 Doisy Daene Sec (Barsac)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2007 Doisy Daene Sec (Barsac)

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Yep, a dry wine from Barsac. This is a selection of Sauvignon Blanc, but qualifies as offbeat due ot the rarity of dry wines from the "Sauternes" region. I mentioned this wine in a post I did on the main board (see here), but firgured it deserved cross-posting in Wine Focus:

The 2007 Doisy Daene Sec was intruiging, but I really could not decide if it was smoky on the nose or reduced. Either way it was quite tart and grassy on the palate, so not a wine I would pursue. No shock of course - it's Sauvignon Blanc.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: 2007 Doisy Daene Sec (Barsac)

Postby Jenise » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:12 pm

That's right, you hate Sauvignon Blanc, don't you. Definitely offbeat, though, for the reasons you say--I believe I once saw a bottle of dry Y'quem but that's like it in my life time for dry Sauternes/Barsacs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I've had the dry Y'quem once, and have virtually zero memory of it, so that tells you (and me) something.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Salil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Shame. I had the 'G' Sec from Guiraud a few months back, it was a lot better. Probably because it had less Sauvignon and more Semillon.

(I'm not quite as SB-averse as you, there are a good number I can drink without complaints but there are very few Sauvignons I really find interesting and it's frustrating that in Bordeaux and some parts of Australia, that grape basically spoils what could be some really interesting pure Semillon.)
Salil
Franc de Pied

Postby David Creighton » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

hmmm - well, SB is one of my fav's - esp. from sancerre; but also from bordeaux. so, we are going to dis the sweet sauterne because it is nearly all SB?

anyway, there are other dry Sauternes - not labeled that way of course. in addition to G de Giraud - the 2006 was one of the great wines of this decade for me and still is - there is R de Rieussec and the yquem of course and others i've seen that escape me now.
david creighton
David Creighton
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:00 am

David,

One of the (somewhat) well-known facts 'round these parts is that I detest Sauvignon Blanc. I've tried Sancerre, New Zealand, California, Bordeaux Blanc, etc & never, ever found one I truly liked. There were a few where I could put up with a glass (Pur Sang comes to mind), but never more than that.

Now if you throw in some healthy botrytis then it's a game changer for me. The flavor profile completely changes. I love Sauternes/Barsac in its sweet form. Of course it virtually always has a healthy dose or even a majority of Semillon, but still I love the stuff.

For what it's worth, many people at the tasting where I tried the Doisy Daene Sec really liked it, and it was a unique wine. I just did not care for it at all.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:57 pm

While I do not fall in David's category, I certainly prefer my SB to have some Semillion in it. Of course Sauterne is awhole 'nother level!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Chris Kissack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 am

Well, I like SB in its various forms, whether it be old world minerally Sancerre, new world NZ-style, dry or sweet. I've had botrytised versions and late-harvest Sauvignon auslese from Austria. I also enjoy the combination of Sauvignon and oak, such as in Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux and in Cloudy Bay's Te Koko, although I acknowledge that this combination seems to be enough to make some people retch with disgust (I speak figuratively - I think!). :)

I have been doing a little Languedoc tasting recently as I have been passing the time near Limoux, a holiday, in recent weeks. I have encountered oak-fermented and barrel-aged (short-period, 4-6 months) Sauvignon, as well as the most fresh and fruity Languedoc Sauvignon vin de pays I have ever tasted, which if you approached it blind you would probably guess New Zealand as the origin (a real surprise as most Languedoc Sauvignons I tried tend to be a bit flabby rather than fresh). I could see the good points in both wines, but I understand that they aren't really everybody's 'cup of tea'.

I judge in the Loire category for the Decanter World Wine Awards where we faced this year two whole mornings of Sauvignon Blanc - that is probably the situation when I am most likely to find the variety to be 'hard work' - but wouldn't anybody?! :D
Chris Kissack
Ultra geek

Postby David Creighton » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 pm

fwiw - sauterne and barsac do not usually have a healthy dose of semillon and certainly not a majority. older books can no longer be trusted because replanting has been almost exclusively with SB.
david creighton
David Creighton
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:18 pm

David,

All of the references I have come across point to Semillon being the dominant grape.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby David Creighton » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:45 pm

a hundred lashes with a wet noodle - had my grapes reversed.
david creighton
David Creighton
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:59 pm

David Creighton wrote:a hundred lashes with a wet noodle - had my grapes reversed.

boiling up the pasta now :wink:
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus