WTN: 2006 Colonnara verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Cuprese

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2006 Colonnara verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Cuprese

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:57 pm

2006 Colonnara Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore Cuprese - Italy, Marche, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (6/23/2009)
1st experience with this DOC, but moderately impressed. N.B. Note from just over a week ago, but with wine focus in mind 8)

Pleasantly herbal nose with some background honey & lime. On the palate good sprightly acidity coupled with a texturally medium weight wine, which works well. Not a bad length finish and some butter emerges at the end. All in all well balanced, reasonably complex, but without over-extending itself. A very useful wine that maybe didn't go with the cod as well as I'd hoped, but should be a good food wine with a variety of fish, but also has the body to work well with Pork IMO.
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN: 2006 Colonnara verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Cuprese

Postby Tim York » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 am

Ian Sutton wrote:1st experience with this DOC, but moderately impressed.

I guess you mean your first experience with the Cuprese bit, Ian. I haven't had it either.

My opinion of Verdicchio CdJ (and also Matelica) went up a lot after a rapid trip through Marche a few years ago when I returned with some tenderly refreshing and quite complex bottles from Bucci, Umana Ronchi and Sartarelli, which all disappeared down the gullet quite quickly.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 am

Tim
No worse than that - definitely my first verdicchio dei C di J (and I'm not sure, it may even be my first verdicchio :shock: ). Not quite sure how it slipped under the radar, except for a (personal) historic contempt for Italian whites (so many used to be neutral & dull). Times change though and my prejudices are well on the way to breaking down.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Tim York » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:23 am

Ian Sutton wrote: except for a (personal) historic contempt for Italian whites (so many used to be neutral & dull). Times change though and my prejudices are well on the way to breaking down.

regards

Ian

Ian, you are right that the quality of italian white has improved out of all recognition in the last 15 years or so. I used to despise Verdicchio in its then funny amphora shaped bottles. There is now lots of delicious white in most regions and even a long way South, e.g. Frascati, Greco di Tufo, Fiano, Fallanghina, Etna bianco, which Bruce wrote about, and Sicilian Grillo. I guess that locals in the know could always find a few good ones but the overall picture was, as you say, neutral and dull.

I need to replenish my stocks of wines like these.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Here is a reminding note on a Verdicchio I tasted early this year....>

WTN:`07 Marotti Campi Luzano Verdicchio dei Castello di Jesi, Marches It.

Classico Superiore, $24 Cdn, 13.5% alc, synthetic cork, purchased locally in town. Well-known local winery with fair track record in wine production. I always prefer my Verdicchio to be served not too chilled.

Color. Deep straw, starting to show light lemon. No green.

Nose. Acacia floral, crisp, aromatic, fresh, hint of freshly squeezed lime juice. Did not show any nuttiness until day 2.

Palate. Initial thoughts were off-dry, rich, leesy action here, served blind would be fun. White fruits but no pithy apricot. More peachy, nice fleshy abstract. Red Delicious apple as it opens after an hour, low acidity, butterscotch trace. Not like any Verdicchio I have tried, nah maybe the Fazi Battaglia? Comments from across the table include..."viognier perhaps, maybe upscale P Gris from Okanagan?"
I found it a great match with the crab cakes and chipotle mayo. I think a tad more minerality might have worked even better wonders?
Winner however, through and through!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:2006 Colonnara Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore Cuprese - Italy, Marche, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (6/23/2009)
1st experience with this DOC, but moderately impressed. N.B. Note from just over a week ago, but with wine focus in mind 8)

Pleasantly herbal nose with some background honey & lime. On the palate good sprightly acidity coupled with a texturally medium weight wine, which works well. Not a bad length finish and some butter emerges at the end. All in all well balanced, reasonably complex, but without over-extending itself. A very useful wine that maybe didn't go with the cod as well as I'd hoped, but should be a good food wine with a variety of fish, but also has the body to work well with Pork IMO.

Ian, I like this wine very much, but rarely see it in my market. When I last did se it, I noticed that the price had risen quite a lot, and was near $20 per, and by now probable nearing $25...that is just a guess though. Fl Jim turned me onto the wine with his postings here.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus