WTN: `07 Jorge Ordonez Botani Seco Moscatel, Andalucia Sp.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `07 Jorge Ordonez Botani Seco Moscatel, Andalucia Sp.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:44 pm

This was WOTN for me at a recent "Unconventional Whites" tasting downtown.

100% Muscat Alexandria, wine produced in co-operation with the Alois Kracher family. This grape variety is traditionally used in raisin production!
Poor quality natural cork, 13.5% alc, $28 Cdn wow! Rugged slate/limestone clay area.

Color. Light dull straw with green tints.

Nose. Peach, apricot, lime spice. All these aromatics are pretty soft but appeal. Some noted "grass and melon".

Palate. Entry was dry, minerally, peach, citrus. Medium to full bodied, lengthy finish with muscat tones. I found the finish more attractive when not too chilled. Would be a perfect apperitif wine on the patio, has seen 18 months in old oak barrels. Anastasia thought "mandarin... and lets go to Malaga for a holiday".
Maybe not too obscure but hard to find I guess. Flew off the shelf after the tasting but rather expensive I thought.
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `07 Jorge Ordonez Botani Seco Moscatel, Andalucia Sp.

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Sounds good ... but think twice about going to Malaga, unless you like undiscerning British tourists!
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 am

Thanks Ian, a good reminder to stay away. Are all the louts from Norwich?!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Tim York » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:25 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Sounds good ... but think twice about going to Malaga, unless you like undiscerning British tourists!

Isn't weak sterling keeping a lot of them at home? I read sad stories of Brit expatriates having to sell up at the bottom of the market and return home because they can no longer make ends meet.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:This was WOTN for me at a recent "Unconventional Whites" tasting downtown.

100% Muscat Alexandria, wine produced in co-operation with the Alois Kracher family. This grape variety is traditionally used in raisin production!
Poor quality natural cork, 13.5% alc, $28 Cdn wow! Rugged slate/limestone clay area.

Color. Light dull straw with green tints.

Nose. Peach, apricot, lime spice. All these aromatics are pretty soft but appeal. Some noted "grass and melon".

Palate. Entry was dry, minerally, peach, citrus. Medium to full bodied, lengthy finish with muscat tones. I found the finish more attractive when not too chilled. Would be a perfect apperitif wine on the patio, has seen 18 months in old oak barrels. Anastasia thought "mandarin... and lets go to Malaga for a holiday".
Maybe not too obscure but hard to find I guess. Flew off the shelf after the tasting but rather expensive I thought.

Bob, I first became acquainted with the wines of Malaga Spain which are made from the muscat grape way back in 1970 I think, Great dessert wines made there from that grape.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Return to Wine Focus