WTN: Leftover postings on summer reds

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Leftover postings on summer reds

Postby JC (NC) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:42 pm

2006 Domaine de la Voute des Crozes Cote-de-Brouilly
Nicole Chanrion, Viticulteur 13% alcohol $14.99
Imported by Kermit Lynch.

Tastes lighter in body with less depth than the Jean-Paul Brun Moulin a Vent from the same vintage that I opened the previous week. Still, a nice summer red with chicken or pork. I was interested to see that this has a female winemaker. Fruity, raspberry flavors. Drinks smoothly. I liked it better on the second night than the first but the Moulin a Vent is the one I will try to reorder.

2005 Domaine Nicolas Rossignol Volnay
13% alcohol
Imported by Martine's Wines, Novato, CA $49.99

Deep purple color looking down at the wine in the glass; opaque. Crimson color from the side when backlit by a hanging light fixture. Fragrant. First few sips resemble a sparkling grape juice. It appears to need plenty of aeration or cellar time. Black fruits--dark cherries, blackberries, mulberries. After 40 minutes in the glass it smoothes out to a feminine fruity drink tasting more like Burgundy than grape juice. Delivers a long finish. Very smooth drinking the second evening. (There's been some discussion about scoring wines based on first impressions. I would have scored this 83 or 84 initially and 87 or 88 later.)

2007 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino
14% alcohol $29.70

Label suggests pairing with pasta, roasted or grilled meats or mature cheeses. I think it would be good with grilled beef, pork, or chicken or barbecued meats. I agree with the description on the label--ruby or garnet color, aroma of red berries, and both structure and smoothness. Very pleasant and versatile although I would prefer buying it at closer to $20 than $30.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Return to Wine Focus