My Puglia red was better chilled!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

My Puglia red was better chilled!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 am

I am ready to go with off-beat whites but a note on a chilled red I opened last night.

WTN: `07 Matane Negroamaro Puglia.

Joint venture between importer Empson and winemakers Sciotti and Baccalaro. 13.5% alc, $16 Cdn, small natural cork, chilled and opened one hour.

The color is almost black in the centre, violet tinges on the rim. Intense nose of strawberry, spice, berries and blackcurrant.
Black cherry to forefront on entry, soft tannins, juicy when chilled. "Not too rustic eh" from across the table. Has some ripe sweetness, medium-bodied but could use some pepper? I figured it had some brambleberry that one associates with Primitivo.
Warming up to room temp, I found the finish a tad on the bitter side and not as approachable.
Great with braised leg of lamb, parsnips and herbed carrots. Chilled, I think might work with duck.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: My Puglia red was better chilled!

Postby Ian Sutton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:55 am

Bob
So the 'Amaro' (bitter) of the name, came through on the wine. From limited experience, I've not found it as bitter as Sangiovese, but don't know what the 'norm' is.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: My Puglia red was better chilled!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Bob
So the 'Amaro' (bitter) of the name, came through on the wine. From limited experience, I've not found it as bitter as Sangiovese, but don't know what the 'norm' is.
regards
Ian

So the 'Amaro' (bitter) of the name, came through on the wine.

I guess it is supposed to taste like that!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus