WTN: an excellent Douro and two others

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: an excellent Douro and two others

Postby Tim York » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 am

My quest for summer reds is being hindered by the elusiveness of summer here and both Germaine and I are having trouble throwing off the after effects of unseasonable viral infections. Nevertheless here goes -

Douro 2003 – Quinta dos Quatro Ventos, Caves Allança – Alc.14% - €11, made from Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca and matured for 12 months in new French and Russian barrels, showed deep colour and well developed aromas of sweet plum, violets and a touch of balsam, spice and varnish. The palate was full bodied with forward sweet fruit, similar aromas to the nose and a suave but well integrated patina contributed by the wood and resolved tannins. I guess that this is a wine which would be perfect at about 16° with a barbecue; 16/20 QPR

Rosso Piceno Superiore “Picus” 2003 – Poderi Capecci San Savino – Alc. 13.5%, made from Montepulciano and Sangiovese, was similar in colour and weight to the previous but the forward fruit was more savoury and acid in character with firmer tannic structure and more depth and complexity and no obvious signs of oak ageing. This wine was more serious and less crowd pleasing than the previous and therefore, I think, less summer (barbecue) friendly but more to my taste; 16/20++.

Beaujolais-Villages 2007 – Château La Tour Goyon – Alc. 12.5% was a “Coup de Coeur **” winner in Guide Hachette 2009. I don’t get it. Served at about 15° showing pleasant prune tinted fruit and good freshness but slightly hollow. I thought I detected something suspect but the TCA sensitive Germaine said no. We will see on another bottle; 14/20.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: WTN: an excellent Douro and two others

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 am

Good to see you posting a Douro note Tim. Anything really special in your area?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus