WTN: Another look at Diemersfontein Pinotage 07.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Another look at Diemersfontein Pinotage 07.

Postby Tim York » Sun May 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Diemersfontein Pinotage 2007 – Wellington, SA – Alc. 14% - (€13,90)
C: Deepish ruby red.
N: Red and dark sweet fruit with a dab of spice.
P: Hedonistic with good depth and mouth-fill showing a rich body of sweet and spicy fruit with coffee notes present but less marked than the back label lead us to expect, cocoa (remarked on by Germaine before reading the back label) but above all toffee which is not mentioned there; but where are the rubbery notes which I regard as a signature of Pinotage? I know many consider this a fault but I would like to find it provided that it is in no more than modest quantities. However, I can imagine this as having similar uses to Zinfandel and have marked it down as a candidate, albeit a touch pricey, to go with barbecues if this coming summer gives the right weather (26° already today); 15.5/20++.

Now I will re-visit Sue’s WTN.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Another look at Diemersfontein Pinotage 07.

Postby Peter May » Tue May 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi Tim

This wine certainly evokes strong reactions when I present it at tastings with total surprise and nearly everyone loving it. The coffee smell is apparent the moment the cork is lifted.

However, I am talking about the current vintage -- which in the UK is the 2008. Maybe it quietens down with another year in bottle.

But there's no doubt it'd be great with a braai/barby

Re rubber: I don't think that is a signature of Pinotage as a variety although maybe found too often in SA red wines.

BTW it costs £7.99 at Waitrose
Peter May
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus