WTN: 2001 Thelema Merlot

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2001 Thelema Merlot

Postby Jenise » Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 am

2001 Thelema Merlot, South Africa
Plums and camphor make a nice twosome, if you like camphor and not all do/would, in this nicely aged merlot which strangely, considering the relative reputations of the grapes, has matured better than the same vintage of cabernet we opened about three weeks ago. The fruit has good density and secondary nuances plus a bit of telltale coffee flavor that because of the camphor is more espresso than a mellower breakfast blend, and the wine just gets richer/deeper with time in the glass. The wine should hold here for years or even continue to improve. Will have to open another cabernet and see if that just wasn't an off bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: 2001 Thelema Merlot

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue May 19, 2009 8:17 am

100% Merlot, or is there some Cab sneaking in the back door to add structure? I don't know the varietal pruity laws of South Africa.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Peter May » Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 pm

For export its 85% of the named variety. 75% domestic.

According to Platter the 2001 Thelema Merlot included 14% Cab.

18 mths ageing French oak, 30% new.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Jenise » Tue May 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks, Pete.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 pm

A fountain of knowledge.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Mark Kogos » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 pm

On one trip to SA, I was fortunate enough to have lunch at Thelema. The restaurant is superb and the food gorgeous. The menu has a strong emphasis on local game such as springbok and various other forms of African deer. Whilst the views go straight back down the valley to the distant coastline. For some time I had a photo on my phone I took of the restaurant and the menu but of course I deleted it recently because I never thought I would have further need for them. :x
Miss dhem Saints.
Mark Kogos
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus