WTN: 2003 Neil Ellis Cabernet Sauvignon

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2003 Neil Ellis Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun May 10, 2009 7:53 pm

I can't shake the thought that this wine bears a striking resemblance to Sociando-Mallet. It has a similar green overlay with dark fruit, though it's less structured than your typical Sociando (actually not unlike the 2003 Sociando). I like its balance and finishing cherry fruit, though I think many folks (who prefer "riper" wines) would not like the green aromatic element.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: 2003 Neil Ellis Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I can't shake the thought that this wine bears a striking resemblance to Sociando-Mallet. It has a similar green overlay with dark fruit, though it's less structured than your typical Sociando (actually not unlike the 2003 Sociando). I like its balance and finishing cherry fruit, though I think many folks (who prefer "riper" wines) would not like the green aromatic element.

So your 03 turned out to be a lot like my 05. The 'green element' was why I nixed this one for our neighborhood tasting--I liked it, but combine the green element with the acidity and it has Last Place written all over it. (That green thing is actually pretty common in South African cabs, though.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: 2003 Neil Ellis Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue May 12, 2009 8:55 am

Yes it was quite similar. I liked the wine a lot more last night (24 hours of air). The green was less intrusive by a long shot & the fruit had gained depth.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus