WTN: Mulderbosch 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Origin of Wes

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Mulderbosch 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Origin of Wes

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 06, 2009 10:59 pm

WTN: Mulderbosch 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Origin of Western Cape

It’s beautiful to look at, a deep pink. Not a lot on the nose except alcohol, though.
Heavy, oily mouthfeel and alcohol on the palate (13.5%). It is also sweet—sweet turpentine, with a short finish.

Wednesday is light night around here, and given the rec on the label (crab cakes, spring rolls), we figured it would go well with shrimp tortillitas with last month’s Mark Bittman NYT recipe. The tortillitas were great, and after diluting about 50% with sparkling mineral water, the beverage drinkable.

But my first ever South African wine was disappointing. For $11, Toad Hollow’s Pinot Noir rosé “Eye of the Toad” is a much rosier deal.
MichaelB
Ultra geek

Re: WTN: Mulderbosch 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Origin of Wes

Postby Jenise » Thu May 07, 2009 12:48 am

Michael, this post made me sad. I actually am a big fan of South African wines, and a big fan of Mulderbosch's Sauvignon Blanc (true story: back when Muldie SB was allocated, friends who knew I loved it brought a case to my hospital room to give me a reason to live--apparently it worked :) ). But this rose? I've had it in at least two prior vintages and my impressions of both matched yours of this. I didn't like their chenin either. But their Sauvignon Blanc, if you like the grape, is bliss. Try that, or another South African wine. Don't judge them all by this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Mulderbosch 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Origin of Wes

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 07, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Jenise! The Mulderbosch was one of three SA wines in what will likely be my last K&L shipment of the spring, and I look forward to trying the
04 Meerlust “Rubicon” BB and 06 Boekenhoutskloof Semillon, maybe posting TNs.
MichaelB
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus