This viognier will knock your socks off!!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

This viognier will knock your socks off!!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Excuse the plain English expression!! Was lucky enough to bump into one of my fave wine reps who knows my liking for viognier.
The wine in question is the `05 Cold Heaven Viognier from Morgan Clendenen who is the wife of Jim C. of Au Bon Climat fame. Her first vintage was 1996 and this white varietal is her main focus. Cost will be $44.00 Cdn.

Nose had vanilla, pear and some toasty oak tones. I thought it quite perfumed with some spice and honeysuckle. Very young but not too austere.
Blockbuster palate forumites.....some early fat, pear, peach and opulent. Is Condrieu like this?! I did not think it was too syrupy (store owner) but never tasted such a high quality luscious viognier before. The `02 is around, might have to give it a try but big bucks.

*** Val the rep told me that MC also makes some Pinot Noir as well as some Syrah but in limited quantities.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus