WTN: Two from the other hemisphere...

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two from the other hemisphere...

Postby Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am

...that you should avoid.

2007 Nederburg Chardonnay, South Africa
The usual creamy oak cheap chardonnay flavors are dealt a double blow with a residual-sugar impression of sweetness on the entry and an aspartame-like bitter aftertaste. Below average even at $10.

2006 Alamos Pinot Noir, Mendoza, Argentina
Although it had exactly the right color and lighter body for the grape, this wine was so sweet and lacking in acid and varietal flavor that Bob couldn't guess what it was made out of. When I revealed it was pinot and challenged him to guess where it was from, he said "one of those little Russian countries". That's how bad it is: it doesn't taste like wine from a place where both the people who make the wine and the people who drink wine it have any wine sophistication. Easily the worst pinot noir I've ever tasted. $13.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Two from the other hemisphere...

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 am

So they are the "antipodiathis" of value.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Salil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm

On the Nederburg - yikes. I've liked some of their cheaper red blends (Shiraz/Cab and Cab/Merlot), but haven't tried their whites. Going by that note I'll stay away (although I think the odds of me buying Chardonnay any time soon are very, very low :)).
Salil
Franc de Pied

Postby Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:On the Nederburg - yikes. I've liked some of their cheaper red blends (Shiraz/Cab and Cab/Merlot), but haven't tried their whites. Going by that note I'll stay away (although I think the odds of me buying Chardonnay any time soon are very, very low :)).

I thought I had a Nederburg chardonnay about ten years ago that I thought was great value. Might just be a vintage issue. That said, we were out on the deck and it was a pretty day, so we finished the bottle.

Not so the Alamos, of which neither of us could not tolerate more than two sips. Rhododendron food!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I guess that shows the folly of using residual sugar to hide imbalance or flavour issues in a wine. It might make it potable (if not palatable) to some, but it's no band-aid/elastoplast/Walmart proprietary sticking plaster.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I don't know what has happened to Nederberg. They were once a very respected South African name and when I first discovered them, some were very good. Now they have morphed into cheap supermarket wines and last year, when I was recording supermrket specialling, they got down to NZ$6.99 on special, but even at the price they did not offer value for money. The Cabernet Sauvignon (?blend) I tasted only two years ago, was dull and bitter and riddled with barnyard and Brett. Vintage would have been 2005 or older. Maybe they have improved since then but you get a bit scared to go back and try again.
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I guess that shows the folly of using residual sugar to hide imbalance or flavour issues in a wine. It might make it potable (if not palatable) to some, but it's no band-aid/elastoplast/Walmart proprietary sticking plaster.

What was weird was how instead of turning into a simple syrup on the finish, it had that fake-sugar aftertaste. Very odd.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I don't know what has happened to Nederberg. They were once a very respected South African name and when I first discovered them, some were very good. Now they have morphed into cheap supermarket wines and last year, when I was recording supermrket specialling, they got down to NZ$6.99 on special, but even at the price they did not offer value for money. The Cabernet Sauvignon (?blend) I tasted only two years ago, was dull and bitter and riddled with barnyard and Brett. Vintage would have been 2005 or older. Maybe they have improved since then but you get a bit scared to go back and try again.

My chardonnay suggests you shouldn't try again. :) But thanks for the validation on Nederburg, based on what I remember it would have been a no-brainer for a pre-tasting sipper, but the way it is now? No thank you!
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Salil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I don't know what has happened to Nederberg. They were once a very respected South African name and when I first discovered them, some were very good. Now they have morphed into cheap supermarket wines and last year, when I was recording supermrket specialling, they got down to NZ$6.99 on special, but even at the price they did not offer value for money. The Cabernet Sauvignon (?blend) I tasted only two years ago, was dull and bitter and riddled with barnyard and Brett. Vintage would have been 2005 or older. Maybe they have improved since then but you get a bit scared to go back and try again.

I've had a couple of the cheaper 04 Nederburg Cab/Merlot and Cab/Shiraz blends - very cheap, but quite solid and I didn't find the brett/barnyard/bitterness that you mentioned.

Will try one or two in the summer at some point and report back.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Return to Wine Focus