WTN: 2004 Chatsfield Shiraz Reserve (W. Australia)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2004 Chatsfield Shiraz Reserve (W. Australia)

Postby Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Two notes. One written tonight, the other a little older.

In the wine focus context, this hits two sources of good value. Seasonal sales & lesser famed regions. Chatsfield is in Mount Barker, Great Southern, Western Australia (east of Marg River). However the style isn't too wild west, indeed it's perhaps closer in style to Barossa and McLaren Vale than I'd normally prefer. Including delivery, the wine cost less than £7 a bottle, but even at the previous £11 a bottle, the value is fair (the little code at the foot of the notes mark what I think is 'fair' value, followed by what it cost). If you prefer a bigger style, you might like this more than me. If elegance is your byword, perhaps less.

2004 Chatsfield Shiraz Reserve - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Mount Barker (4/27/2009)
Still (unsurprisingly) dense purple colour. Rich, warm spicy brambly fruit on the nose with a more fleeting black cherry aspect.

On the palate, although not heavy, does have a mouth-filling/coating quality, with a faintly sour edge (not something I appreciate when overt, but ok here). Acidity just sufficient. Certainly packing quite a punch at 14.5% alc, but it's perhaps more in danger of becoming ponderous from the richness and slight lack of acidity, rather than being 'hot'.

I do like and enjoy this and the price was more than fair. Not something I'd enjoy drinking regularly, but on it'd day, plays it's role well

12 / 6.7

2004 Chatsfield Shiraz Reserve - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Mount Barker (2/10/2009)
(Opened at cellar temperature)

Dense purple in colour. Quite deep but crisp blackberry & cherry nose with a (pleasant) hint of caramel and black pepper.

Medium to full bodied, the fruit shows good depth, pleasantly ripe but definitely not overripe. There's a touch of spice and a nice level of acidity to balance the depth of fruit.

Will see how this goes as it warms up, but pretty impressed so far.

Now at (modern) room temperature, there's more spice to the nose, more earthy fruit and just a little alcoholic lift. Mouthfilling palate, but not in fruit bomb style. Relatively firm acidity and background tannin, keeps the rich, very slightly sweet/sour fruit nicely in check. Falls away a little quickly on the finish.

Interesting to see the change as it warmed and opened out. Good but not exceptional

11 / 6.7
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Wine Focus