WTN: Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008 11,5% abv; 15,15€; under Stelvin

Light as water. Smells of mineral water and pure Rieslingness. Dry, but friendly fruit, vivacious. And not tart despite its citrussy fruit and high acidity combined to low sugar (9g/l IIRC). If all German trockener were like this, I would be a fan. Excellent QPR even at the Finnish price.

I seem to have missed the threads on the '08s. Anyone care to summarize how they are like? Any regions to seek or avoid?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008

Postby Salil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008 11,5% abv; 15,15€; under Stelvin

Light as water. Smells of mineral water and pure Rieslingness. Dry, but friendly fruit, vivacious. And not tart despite its citrussy fruit and high acidity combined to low sugar (9g/l IIRC). If all German trockener were like this, I would be a fan. Excellent QPR even at the Finnish price.

I seem to have missed the threads on the '08s. Anyone care to summarize how they are like? Any regions to seek or avoid?

Sounds very nice; glad to hear about the screwcap. And no, you haven't missed any threads on 08s.

Over in the US we're still waiting for the major importers to show off their 08 portfolios - until then the shelves are pretty full of 07s and a bunch of 06s still being ignored. At the moment I'm still popping open bottles from those 2 years (with the odd 05) when I feel like a really young Riesling - still a while before '08 season.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Re: WTN: Fritz Haag Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2008

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:40 pm

2008 is supposedly a "classic" kabinett/spatlese year in the vein of 2004. If that's really true I will be thrilled.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus