WTN: Two from Valmiñor

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two from Valmiñor

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Tonight with some chunks of raw fish wrapped in seaweed and rice, we opened a couple from *Valmiñor from Rías Baixas - a straight Albariño 2006 and the blend of Albariño, Loureiro and Treixadura, Davila 2006 I don't always see eye to eye with my boss when it comes to our preferences in wines, but I think his decision to import Valmiñor was very nice. The straight Albariño (decent qpr at even Alko's prices! c.17€) is a peachy, ripe, full-on style; the blend is more mineral and elegant, even slightly tight and steely (ok qpr @20€). It is very silly, however, that when I want to drink wines that we import, I have to buy them from our monopoly with outrageous markups instead of straight from us!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Two from Valmiñor

Postby Rahsaan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:The straight Albariño (decent qpr at even Alko's prices! c.17€)

Wow. I see what you mean about Alko's prices. I just bought the 07 for $12.50 which is almost half the price of 17euros.
Rahsaan
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus